Could it be relux after all...

Posted , 9 users are following.

for the last year ive had a lump in my throat, had it checked with the ENT and they said probably silent reflux or anxiety.  i seem to alternate between either a lump in the throat, or a horrible taste that last for ages at a time.  recently i thought i had oral thrush, my mouth just felt horrible, white tongue and a burning sensation in the tongue and throat.  oral thrush treatment didnt help.  out of desperation i tried a gaviscon tablet, i have a history of reflux, but i cant say i feel the typical burn feeling that often.  the gaviscon tablet really did take the bad taste away very quickly!!  looks like ill be revisiting the doc and see if something better can be done. just didnt imagine silent reflux could make my mouth taste so bad!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I get the lump too and ENT also diagnosed me with reflux. That's how it all started for me n I since worked out that I've had tonnes of other symptom s over the years that can now all be put down to the reflux, such as palpitations. Certain foods make it worse, mainly carbs for me. Ppi's make it a bit better when it gets really bad. I know when it's that bad as I am literally drinking gaviscon to ease all the symptoms. Hopefully your gp can give you something to ease It. Good luck!
  • Posted

sorry, by last comment got sent without being finished by accident. Continuing here.

Interestingly I slipped a disk in my lower back 25 years ago and suffer regular back problems. More recently I've been getting phantom pains in the appendix, and illeocecal valve area. I know its not appendix as I've had it checked out. I've wondered recently whether the compression in my nerves is just causing these valves like the Ileocecal Valve to open up or be weak, resulting in these sysmptoms.  I've just started on Nexium 2 weeks now, but so far not any large noticeable difference.

• Posted

Actually, try rinsing your sinus once in the morning and once before going to bed.

I've had the burning in my throat for years but lately its been minimal and I think its because I've been rinsing, although I can't be sure.  I've been rinsing because the mucous build up / post nasal drip is causing frequent sinus pain.

• Posted

I've recently started doing a salt water nasal spray,it does seem to help the lump feeling,but maybe not the poor taste,better than nothing though!
    • Posted

I don't think a spray is going to do the job. Trust me, go for a full rinse.

Go to the chemist and buy a sinus rinse kit. I use a squeeze bottle kit rather than the traditional netti pot. ITs wierd the first time you try it but once you realise it doesn't hurt or feel odd at all its easy. It takes a steady stream of water to dislodge the mucus stored there.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not alone but I feel for u all! My lump in the throat sometimes feels like its a lump behind my nose almost - has anyone else felt this? Sometimes it can ease a little and then I drink something which seems to aggrivate the feeling. I've found warmer drinks does helps,colder seems worse somehow not sure why. Do the netti pot type things actually help?
  • Posted

Hi due to my acid reflux I always feel a lump in my throat as well as nauseous all the time which is really frustrating. I have an appointment in 2 months to make tests to see where this is coming from
    • Posted

Like many I imagine the tests will show nothing at all,which is good in a way, but infuriating at the same time. Mine sometimes feels like its a lump of something stuck behind my nose,other times is more att my throat, does that sound familiar?

• Posted

I dont't feel anything in my nose,atleast never felt it, I just feel the lump in the right side of my throat
    • Posted

Put simply, the lump in the throat feeling (globus) may be the cricopharyngeal muscle that forms the upper oesophageal sphincter, tightening or spasming in an attempt to prevent extra-oesophageal reflux.

I'll send a link by a separate post but it may take a little while for the post to go through moderation.

• Posted

Hi thanks a lot for your information, though is the nausea that I feel everday related to this as well?
    • Posted

There are so any possible reasons for nausea (many due to excess acid, insufficient acid or reflux) ranging from food intolerances to induced by gagging reflex, I couldn't tell you what yours is but if you are having other reflux symptoms as well, it's very likely it's all connected.
    • Posted

You're right but I'm sure it is related with acid reflux. I have an appointment in 2 months they're going to do an xray to check for scarring in the esophagus or stomach. Hope all goes well to see where all of this is coming from because it has changed my everyday life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.