Could it be sinusitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm hopeful that somebody here might be able to help me.

Around a month ago now I started feeling quite unwell. My symptoms began with a hoarse voice and coughing, although the former went away and the latter has settled down a bit as well (although I can still have a coughing fit once in a while).

However, I am now constantly coughing up phlegm almost every half an hour, as well as blowing my nose and generally feeling very fatigued (potentially sinus issues). My nose is regularly blocked as well, affecting my speech. I have submitted a blood test but this has come back showing as normal, and two sputum samples have also been examined but have not suggested that there is a bacterial infection either (although they are "mucopurulent"). I've also noticed that when I breath out heavily, I can hear a rattle coming from my chest. Last month I completed a course of antibiotics, but there has been little improvement since, and my sense of smell has also been diminished. Resting and sleeping don't seem to improve my symptoms.

Initially I wondered if it could be sinusitis, but I am surprised that it has lasted this long. Therefore, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on seeing my GP next week, but any advice in the meantime would also be most welcome.

Regards

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sinus problems can be signs of other things wrong apart from 'just' a sinus infection. You perhaps had a bit of a viral attack (hoarse voice and coughing) which has left your body's defences struggling and the sinus issues may be symptoms of this. You say you feel fatigued but tests have come back as normal. This is typical of what could be your immune system trying to get to grips with everything.

It might help to give up dairy produce (which can often lead to excess mucous) for the time being. Make sure your diet is clean and healthy and concentrate on eating foods to help build up your defences - lots of vitamins and minerals. Maybe take some supplements especially of antioxidants (Vits C and E) to help boost your immune system. You could also get some evening primrose oil (1000mg capsules) and take one a day - this saves your cells from having to make something from food you eat (I forget what!) and your immune system will be grateful.

The antibiotics you took (do you remember the name? Always take note as some are much stronger and do more cellular damage than others) will have caused problems in your gut by killing off good bacteria as well as any bad guys, especially if you didn't have an infection in the first place. Take a probiotic capsule to help replenish your microbiome - again, studies have shown that your immune system needs good nutrition and for this you need a healthy gut.

Stay away from sugary and fatty foods and alcohol, eat loads of good (not processed or cheaply produced) meat, veg and fruit. Some people say to 'eat a rainbow' meaning to eat a wide variety of colourful fruit and veg. Eating is a big part of being healthy.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I have been taking "Sambucol" extra defense, which helps to support the immune system and contains vitamins and minerals. I can, of course, look into the other products that you have recommended as well. As for the antibiotics, they were 500mg Amoxicillin.

Regards

• Posted

Isn't Primrose Oil for women with premenstrual syndrome, though?

• Posted

Yes, but all cells can benefit with a little help, not just those in particular areas. It provides us with omega 6 which is often hard to get from food. This reduces inflammation and helps balance hormones. It also strengthens cell membranes and improves problems like acne, psoriasis, arthritis etc.

It's active component is gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) which you can easily look up.

Your sinuses need all the help they can get so it's worth giving it a try. Other threads on this forum mention the benefits of it. My own experience is that I always got infected sinuses whenever I had a cold. 3 years after having a baby I suffered with terrible breast pain (mastalgia) for which I was prescribed evening primrose oil. The pain went - unless I ran out and didn't take it for a couple of weeks, so I kept on taking it and was especially keen to after reading of all the other health benefits.Years later, I read on here about the sinus connection and realised I hadn't had a problem with mine for over ten years.

• Posted

Hi again,

I recently went into Holland and Barrett to enquire about whether they stocked Primrose Oil (which they do). The nutritionist was admittedly curious as to why I was looking to purchase this. In response, she suggested that if I was looking for an anti-inflammatory then I would be better off using something such as an Omega-3, or Bromelain, if you have heard of this?

Regards

• Posted

Yes to both, we're always being told how good omega 3 is for us and Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple juice and in the pineapple stem. People use it for reducing swelling (inflammation), especially of the nose and sinuses, after surgery or injury amongst other things.

EP oil does have quite a reputation as being only for women as it does work for women's things - but then it also works for other (shared) things like sinus problems.

We're advised to get both omega 3 and omega 6 - you can read all about it quite easily. My original comment was suggesting making lifestyle and dietary changes in order to help with your problem as sometimes relying on supplements or drugs but not actively changing anything else is not enough. I suggested EP oil as I realised it had probably helped me with my own chronic sinus problems (without me realising). The suggestions from the H&B shop are probably very valid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.