Could It Be SVT or Sinus Tach? Please Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys, I want to apologize in advanced for the lengthy post, but I really need some help.

I've been having a really hard time these past two days. Since my panic attack back in may, I've been having panic attacks that often always had a trigger. I usually feel anxious right before it happens. However, I started having episodes where I could be relaxed and feel my heart rate increasing. I decided to start taking my heart rate and during my episodes of anxiety and panic, my heart rate would beat anywhere from 120 - 160 and during the times I was in the ER doctors said it was sinus tach.

These past two days, my heart rate has reached 184. The highest I've ever seen it. However it only lasted a few seconds and slowly began to decrease.

Here's how they started, yesterday I was laying on my stomach after having a few anxiety induced palpitations. At the time it occcured I was no longer anxious. I was on my computer when I started to feel my heart rate increase. It was about 140 , then 157, and once I stood because I started to get scared it shot up to 178. I called 911 because I felt out of breath which isn't normal with my usual panic attacks. Once the paramedics came my heart rate was 140. They classified it as Sinus Tachy. I went into the ambulance where it dropped to about 120. When I got to the ER 5 minutes later it was 102 and beat at about 98 - 102 for 5 hours and slowly return to normal range of 55- 60.

Today I was laying on my stomach again when it happened. My heart rate started at 130, then 145, 157, 164 the 171. It started to come back down 150 then I stood up and started walking because it's what I normally do when I have a panic attack to calm me down. However, my heart increased to 184 fora second or two, then dropped to about 167, 152, 136 , 131, 155, 130, 107, 117, 109, withing a 15 -20 minute period. Then finally 96 - 100 for 2 hours before dropping to 84 and now still beating around this rate.

I already have an anxiety disorder so naturally this all made me anxious and I am unsure whether it's all just anxiety and panic or actually SVT that isn't being caught since the high rate last only a few seconds. Almost like a gradual peak with a slow decline. I'm so confused and worried.

Could this be SVT?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest visiting a doctor and asking to get either a 24 hour heart monitor or 30 day monitor (depending on how frequently it happens). None of us can make a diagnosis here, nor can a doctor without seeing what's going on, so it's important to get an actual recording of your heartbeat during the worst times. To be honest, telling the difference between then can be kinda hard even with a recording... One clue would be in how it starts and stops. SVT usually starts and stops abruptly. For me, one second my heart rate will be a normal 70bpm and the next it's racing at 180bpm. There's no transition, it just hits all of a sudden. Likewise it often stops abruptly as well, with no cool down. If your heart rate ramps up and gradually comes down, it's somewhat more likely it's sinus tachycardia but that's no guarantee...

• Posted

Thanks, I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I will ask for a 30 day monitor. My heart rate gradually increases and takes and gradually stops. The paramedics caught it at 140 and 130. 180 is a new number which is what frightens me. Hopefully I will get some answers as it is extremely terrifying.
    • Posted

I was driving one day and started getting dizzy. . Pulled over and thought I was going to pass out. I called an ambulance to come get me and take me to the hospital. By the time they came(10 minutes), it had gone from 180 to 140 and when I got to the hospital it was back to normal. It was a horrible experience. It actually makes you feel like you are going to die, but you aren't. Also had an episode at my house in December when I was having a party at my house. My heart suddenly went up to 170, was nauseated, dizzy and felt very faint. Had to go to ER by ambulance. Had an ablation and it is so much better now. 

• Posted

My son has an anxiety disorder and his heart rate has never gotten up that high. I think it may be SVT? SVT can last a few seconds, minutes or hours. Before I had my ablation, my heart rate was high like yours, which caused nausea, dizziness, light headedness . I went one time by ambulance and by the time I got to the ER, my heart rate was normal. That happened to me 4 times last year. Was always back to normal by the time I got to ER.
    • Posted

Does it gradually start and stop or does it began instantly and stop instantly? Can it happen multiple times a day?
  • Posted

SVT has a very abrupt onset and offset, it's like the flick of a switch, there is no gradual increase or decline it's just straight up and then bang stops and beats normally. It doesn't sound like svt but go to your doctor raise your concerns get a monitor and if there's anything I'm sure it will pick it up. It sounds like classic anxiety symptoms, your bodies constantly in fight or flight mode, you'll be very sensitive to adrenaline now. Stay calm and see a doctor I'm sure you'll be ok stay strong 

• Posted

Hi just wanted to give you a bit of positive input regarding your heart rate if as you have put it is declining back down on its own then that is a good point that it's slowing back to a lower more normal rate in my case once it it's svt and very fast rate there it stays and even adenosine in hospital does not reduce it in my case I'm now into double figures Of cardioversion shocks to put my rhythm back to normal so to touch on previous persons comment svt doesn't always stop like a light switch ! Everyone is different I've had a ablation and mine has not worked although I was told this immediately after the op , always get medical advise , I think as awful as it is at least you revert back which is a good thing I hope you get to the bottom of it as some people are in svt and it goes back after minutes others need urgent medical care as there's keep going . I'm sure there's a chance the onset of panic attacks could increase the heart rate and decrease as you calm down see doctors oppinion . Hope this helps 

• Posted

I too have anxiety and svt, but l did not know of the svt until I had an episode that just stayed in a constant ridiculously high beat and I had to go to the ER. There they diagnosed the svt, and then I saw a cardiologist who also confirmed it. 
  • Posted

Hi not sure if this is helpful but I suffer from anxiety and have SVT. Funnily enough they don't usually occur at the same time! I tend suffer from anxiety about specific things (like if I have offended some one or I have a really important work day and can't sleep etc). When I feel really anxious I do always kind of get a pain in my chest, it's more of an emotional pain but it does feel physical as well but I know instinctively its cause by anxiety and is not an actual physical problem though-  I also notice my heart beating loudly if trying to sleep and feeling anxious-sometimes its going a bit faster and sounds very loud- (but not svt fast maybe up to 100 at the most). SVT feels a very different experience for me, it's more physical than emotional (and ironically maybe) I'm not usually feeling anxious when it starts. It's like a I might be on my laptop working and having a cup of tea and suddenly my heart switches from a normal beat to 200 just like that, as if someone had turned a light switch. And svt doesn't actually make me feel anxious in the same way, it's a very physical experience but not so emotional, I can feel light headed and if it doesn't stop after an hour or two after trying all the manovers etc, then I go to A and E.  Sometime I feel a bit upset when I have SVT but not so anxious, know it's different for everyone. It's like my body is malfunctioning and I am aware of it doing what I need to to help it stop, sometime I do get a bit of chest pain with svt but it feels almost like my chest is bruised.

Where as anxiety makes my chest feel tight, my whole body feels flooded with chemicals and quite often I have the emotional feeling of being trapped.. Funnily enough even though I have anxiety, sometimes quite badly, it never seems to trigger my svt- my triggers are being tired/dehydrated and coffee.

Hope this helps somehow. I know some people do feel very anxious with SVT, and I probably will experience them both together at some point, but just trying to describe the different feeling. I've had anxiety a lot longer than svt and initially because I suffer from anxiety friends and doctors just assumed I was getting anxiety palpitations, even though I kept explaining I wasn't  feeling specifically anxious when I got the palpitations. It was only when I went to A & E that the svt was diagnosed with and ECG.  Anyway sorry for very long reply :-)

• Posted

Everyone is saying that it's like a suddent onset, I am 27 Btw Maximum heart rate is like 190. However when this happened it was gradual. It increased quickly but gradually to 150, I stood up and started walking back and forth it went up to 160, then I think I started to get scared that that's when it increased to 184 for a second then back down once I sat down and started breathing. Does that sound like SVT?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.