Could it have been Afib?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Background: a couple months ago I had an episode where I took vasculera for my varicose veins then my heart rate got up to 130/140 bpm at rest

Went to ER via ambulance.  They did EKG, blood work, chest X-ray, MRI it all came back normal. 

Followed up with cardiologist and did more EKGs, echocardiogram and holter. All normal. 

He did say I had a couple PACs on my holter but b/c everything else was normal he said they were benign and not to worry. They said the episode of racing heart was due to the vasculera (Not a drug - it's classified as a medical food and is a supplement)

Now I'm wondering since he said my flutters are PACs - could that episode have been afib? Or would that have been diagnosed from the other tests??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh,the only way to know if it was AF is by the symptoms being seen on an ECG or picked up by a GP, and then it's not always AF.

Some clues are (and these are my symptoms) rapid and chaotic heart rate, too fast to count but caught on monitor at around 150 to 200 BPM. Dizziness, feeling like I will faint,chest pain, nausea and some anxiety.

Unfortunately there are those that have no symptoms at all, which may mean their HR is not too high but is out of sync.

Just be aware if you feel the symptoms again and keep a record of when they happen. You can buy a device called a Kardia Alive Cor which is a small device that gives you a one lead ECG...you can check you HR with this and save and email the results to yourself. You can then show your Docs if the results are indicating possible AF.

As always with anything to do with the heart if you feel severe and crushing chest pain  and arm or jaw pain go to your ER

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.