Could it still be bile acid malabsorption with constipation as well as diarrhoea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 70 and was diagnosed with IBS five years ago, three years after I had my gallbladder removed.   Initially, the symptoms were pain,diarrhoea, frequency, urgency and mucus.  Now, I still get the same symptoms, but they are more intermittent and, in between times, I get constipation.  

I've been reading about bile acid malabsorption and wondering if this may be my problem.  But my difficulty is the constipation.  Is it possible I could still have bile acid malabsorption with intermtttent diarrhoea and constipation?

I know that my digestive system isn't right.  I always feel uncomfortable and have to go to the toilet after eating - whether it's diarrhoea or constipation.  I've got an appointment to see the GP, but just wondered if anyone had experienced both and had still been diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption after tests.

Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Once your gallbladder is removed, you can get either IBS or Bile acid malabsorption. Ask your GP to refer you for a SECHAT scan which looks for BAM. 
    • Posted

Thank you, Pippa. Yes, that's what I'm going to do, but I just wondered if he would do this if I also had constipation and not solely diarrhoea.  Anyway, I will definitely ask what he thinks.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that if you are getting constipation with diarrhoea that sounds like IBS.  You can alternate between the two.  I had this when my IBS started and then it went back to constipation or normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.