Could it will gerd

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, suffered with acid reflux nearly 18 years but since menapause last year it's got worse. It's now like flare ups, I know what I can eat and carnt, but could this also be GERD, when it flares up its at the top of a stomach like underneath my breast bones, also really bad stomach cramps/spasms. Awful acid taste in mouth and throat. Any advice had all tests done and still say acid reflux thank you for reading x

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen. I too have suffered from acid reflux for many years but just recently I've had major flare ups that I find really scary. Just like you I'm menopausal age and sure that's making it worse. I have awful stomach spasms that can be constant and stop me sleeping. I'm going for tests this week as also wondering if just GERD. I get the acid taste in my mouth and lump in my throat. Can I ask what treatment they suggested for you?

• Posted

I'm taking lanzparazol 30mg, 60mg if it's really bad a day. I also take anti acid tablets when needed to x

• Posted

Yes, me too. I have read that menopause makes reflux etc worse. Maybe it is GERD but what's in a label? I am assuming GERD is the same thing as lots of reflux and associated heartburn, lump in thoat etc issues that are discussed here. I am on PPIS -on omeprazole which doesn't stop it. Possibly eases symptoms. Having read up here I am also taking probiotics now - actimal daily and probiotic tablets too when it's bad. I think this may be helping-too soon to be sure.

• Posted

How long have you been taking PPIs for those 18 years?
    • Posted

Were you literally every day on them for the most time? Did you notice any bad side effects?
    • Posted

Yes I'm on them all the time. Never had no side effects with them x

• Posted

Hi Karen. Have you tried Aloe Vera as mentioned in a seperate post? It is supposed to be good. What do you do to relieve the spasms in your tummy? I feel like mine has a life all of its own, like a pulse. It's awful. Find the food sticking in my throat and then the permanent lump that I continually try to swallow down, also not nice at all sad

• Posted

Yes I've tried it Raffa, but don't stick to it haha, which I should do cause it does help. For my stasms I just take paracetamol and a hot water bottle, they last about 2 hours, doesn't happen often through. It's a nightmare living with this x

• Posted

I know these things are always easy for a while and then as you feel better you forget don't you. I do exactly the same. I didn't realise you could get spasms with this but they are unbearable. Mine don't exactly hurt but I just want to rip my tummy out. I also get very anxious which makes it worse. Mine lasted two days on and off last time and all night. No idea what to do about the lump in my throat. I'm very worries it is something serious going on now! x

• Posted

Yer they are unbeatable like. The lump in your throat is nothing to worry about, there's no lump there really, getting worried about it just makes it seem worse. I drink water or suck sweets when mine feels that that. It will never hurt you darl x

• Posted

That's really kind thanks. I have a scope Wednesday so hopefully some answers but this condition is just horrible and if you tell someone you have reflux, they just think indegestion and that's not that bad!!! Have you had a barium thing done? x

• Posted

Yes people don't realise had bad it is. Yes I've had that done, it comfirmed acid reflux. Had bloods done a few weeks ago to cause it was really bad and I have ibs to x

• Posted

Worth having then I guess? Sounds awful sad. Poor you. It's always going to be there isn't it. Di bloods show anything? food intolerences perhaps? x

• Posted

Yes I think we're stuck with it, just need to learn to control it properly. All bloods come back fine, thank god x

• Posted

Phew that's good news. Guess you're right, just have to learn how to cope with it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.