could light sources from our surrounding hurt / damage / affect our eyes ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't mean UV / Sunlight that we all know that they will hurt our eyes by common sense.

I am living in densely populated city where I could often see strange colored light from unknown sources. They are NOT from advertising windows or storefront or automobiles. They could be from unknown devices. For example, today I saw a pedestrain holding something and pointing it to the upper direction which emits strong green light, I wasn't sure what it was, I turn my eye away quickly, I want to get close to him to see what it was, but he then left quickly.

I think I am sometimes overreacting, however, for long we know that LASER could damage

our eyes permanently and everyone of us could easily get a pocket LASER legally.

I have two questions

1. Should I worry about colored light from unknown sources in my city? Could those light hurt / damage our eyes or worsen myopia?

2. How to know if light from a source is LASER or not? Does LASER only appear as a form of beam? If the light is not a beam-like, then it's not LASER. Am I correct?

3. If every time I find strange light or strong light, then I look away immediately, could a few seconds of looking at those light be bad enough to do some harm to our eyes?

Any other comments, discussion and information are always welcome

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, I am afraid I cannot answer your question. I live in the country where there are not a lot of unusual light sources. i had a laser used on my eye yesterday which helped my problem. but I guess you do have to be careful about them. i have been advised to protect my eyes from the sun. I hope someone can give you some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.