Could MRI dye have triggered a period?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I have not had a period for about 5 months (I am 50) and went this am for an MRI to find out more about a 5cm 'mass' on my ovary.  I was really nervous and I did have pains in my tummy/ovary which I put down to stress and anxiety.  Had the scan which involves injecting a dye and this afternoon just started bleeding and do have a bit of period pain.  Could the MRI dye have triggered a period or is it someting else?  Just seems like a heck of a coincidence.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kellers, 

I wouldn't have thought the dye could do that, maybe your period was due for starting anyway as my periods started coming every few months when I was starting on the menopause a few years ago.   I had the MRI with dye injected in my arm but didn't have any bleeding, just an achey arm for a week or two after.  

• Posted

Hi Janet, i realised how daft that sounded after I had posted it!!  Those pains in the mornign were period pains and yes just had my first period for 6 months - just a coincidence.
  • Posted

Aw it's not daft, you never know what kind of impact these things have on our bodies. Xx   My arm was really achey for weeks and  sore where the elbow bone is near where the dye was injected and I did wonder if the dye had somehow done that cos it was fine before I went for the MRI. XX
  • Posted

Hope you get your results soon, it's horrible waiting isn't it :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.