Could my dizziness be related to my blood pressure?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

For the last 6+ months, I have been struggling with dizziness when standing, lack of energy etc. A few seconds after I stand I feel light headed and usually have to stop for a few seconds until it passes. It lasts around 30-60 seconds usually then I'm fine until I sit down and stand up again. It's not every time, around half the time I would say. Occasionally I also feel like I'm a bit out of breath after it happens.

I have suffered from anaemia in the past and thought it might be this again so a few days ago I had a blood test (awaiting the results). But I have also been told on a few occasions to have my blood pressure checked because it was high.

I recently bought a home blood pressure monitor so I could track my blood pressure and let my doctor know the results if needed. I suffer from anxiety which means I don't think my readings at the doctors at very accurate because I'm anxious. I also occasionally take propranolol for anxiety which would reduce my reading. I had it taken on Tuesday and she said it was fine (I had taken propranolol before the appt).

The last time I took propranolol was on Tuesday (today is Thursday) so I assume it will have left my system so I can only assume my blood pressure readings from today are accurate (correct me if I'm wrong).

Lying down reading

112/69

Pulse 42

Standing reading

98/79

Pulse 78

Lying down reading

115/70

Pulse 46

At a recent doctor appt (duty dr) to discuss my symptoms the doctor mentioned postural hypotension and said to see my gp about my blood pressure it was 145/93 (no propranolol was taken) she advised me to stand up slowly (I often sit with both my legs up on the sofa).

I wondered do these readings suggest postural hypotension? or perhaps something else? I can't understand why my blood pressure is so high (probably anxiety related) then quite low, especially upon standing. I'm also a little shocked at my pulse because I'm not fit in the slightest.

If the blood results don't show anything I will be following up at the doctors regarding my blood pressure. I just think due to my anxiety it's going to be difficult to get calm readings as I do at home.

Any advice or suggestions of things to mention to the dr would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lubilou! You do not need any blocker with 42(!!) beats per minute! These drugs are indicated in case of increased heart rate. Their job is to decrease heart rate and blood pressure. They achieve this effect  by acting on specific beta receptors located on vessel walls and organs not by crossing the blood brain barrier (which is true and is known since 1970's)

Hope it was helpful!

?Kind regards

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.