Could my mom have uterine cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if I am being a bother but I would love some advice. 

My mother is 61 years old, post menopausal and has dealt with endometrial polyps her whole life. She finished treatment for stage 1 breast cancer last November and due to the chemotherapy, she started bleeding again from the polyps but the bleeding always went away after a day or so. About a week ago, she started to bleed and now the bleeding won't stop. She went to the doctor and he sent her for an ultrasound on her uterus today. Her tech said that the only thing he saw on the scans were her uterine lining being quite thick but no polyps or tumors or anything. They sent the scans off to be read by the radiologist and then her doctor and we will not hear anything until Monday. So far her only symptoms has been the bleeding, and back pain from the bleeding. No weight loss or anything else. Could this be uterine cancer? I know ya'll are not doctors so I apologize for sounding pushy but we just go through everything wtih her breast cancer and I guess I just need something to get thru the weekend. Thank you and sorry for being a pain.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Catey, You are not being a pain. I'm sorry that your mother and you are going through all of this. Frankly, if your mother received a scan in the USA, the tech should not be telling you anything about the results. The best person to tell you what the scan revealed is the radiologist.  If her uterine lining is thickened, she will need further tests to determine what's going on. I know from personal experience that it's so hard to endure the testing and wait for the results, but it's the only way for you to know.

Your mother and you are in my thoughts and prayers. xx

• Posted

Hi. You're not a pain at all, just an anxious daughter looking out for her mum. In my experience if no polyps or tumours could be seen by someone who does these scans on a daily basis I would say you have little to worry about. The fact that he could see a thickening of the lining of the womb and there is bleeding could possibly indicate endometriosis which can be treated. So try not to over think this, I'm sure she will be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.