Could my spleen be ruptured?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering from mono for about six weeks now. Symptoms came and passed every week or so. 

I have been doing some heavy lifting last week. On Friday morning, I noticed my stools were black (Sorry, TMI), along with pain in my upper left abdomen. I have also been feeling somewhat confused, and nauseous. However, I've had the nausea since I was diagnosed. 

The things I were lifting really needed to be dragged, and I was dragging some. But stupid me lifted sometimes, because I thought it was manageable. 

I went to a doctor on Friday, who said to keep an eye on my stools, and if it continues to be black, to go to the hospital. I asked if it could be caused by the anti sickness medication (Metachlopromide), was causing it. Doctor said it doesn't usually. I looked at the ingrediants and there was no bismuth in it, and I haven't been eating black foods. 

Has anyone ever ruptured their spleen while having mono? What do you do if you think you have a ruptured spleen? I don't want to go to hospital, as if I'm diagnosed as normal, I would feel like I have been wasting their time. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, last week was meant to say this week. 
  • Posted

If your stools are black and you havnt been taking iron tablets or something else that would cause that then I would defo go to hospital. You have nothing to lose by getting it checked out properly. I think that doctor you saw was incompetent. They should have sent you in. However I think if your spleen ruptured the pain would be severe but I'm not an expert. I'd still go though to be safe ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.