Could my symptoms be caused by Vitamin D3 overdose/toxicity?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been dealing with some health issues such as dizziness/lightheadedness, pressure in my head while standing, some gastrointestinal problems, I've been drinking unusual amounts of water that caused frequent restrooms breaks and frequent heachaches. All of this has been going on since early October. My question is could this because of too much Vitamin D3? I've been doing some reading and I'm concerned my doctor has me taking too much D3. I read that too much D3 will cause high calcium levels in your blood so I went back and looked at labs that I had drawn and now I'm thinking this may be the case. 

My calcium level on 17 October was 10.7 mg/Dl (Normal range 8.4-10.4) 

My Vitamin D level on 13 November was 25 ng/ml (Normal range 30-100)

After the Vit D lab was drawn my doctor told me to start taking 10,000 IU daily for 2 weeks, then 2,000 IU daily and recheck labs in 8 weeks. 

I don't think I should have been put on the high of a dose considering I was only 5 points outside of the normal range. And since my calcium level was already high, I think being on a large dose of the D3 only made it go higher causing me these issues. 

Any help and advise is appreciated. I'm desperate for some relief. I am seeing my PCM on Thursday and I'm going to ask him to re-check those 2 labs at that time. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you have any digestion issues? i got all the symptoms that you mentioned. But all these started for me when my gastritis got severe and now i got gallstones. I'm hoping removing my gallbladder will solve this , however doctors do not agree and they say its a vestibular issue and i'm taking physical therapy exercise for inner ear crystal balance.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/lightheadness-dizziness-blurred-vision-for-6-years-now-and-ringing-in-ear-for-2-month-need-help--626997

• Posted

What do you mean by digestion issues? I had my gallbladder removed in 2013, but every once in a while I will the pain that I used to get before I had mine removed. Before I had the surgery I had issues with my stomach hurting a lot and would have to go to the bathroom soon after eating. Now that I've had it removed that issue has become so more prominent. My surgeon told me that it's normal to have issues like that after having it removed and that it may not resolve itself. I've learned to deal with it. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago on my upper right quadrant to see if I had stones in my bile duct, but it all came back clear. I went to an ent doctor last week and he said it's an inner ear issue and sent me to physical therapy which I start next week.

Is the therapy helping you at all?

• Posted

When i say digestion issues, i feel bloated all the time with lot of burpings.Its just 2 weeks therapy so far for me. But i have very less confidence on it as i feel weak/fatigue along with dizziness, i agree dizziness could help if weakness is not accompanied. did the dizziness started after the surgery or it was before itself?
    • Posted

I don't really have a lot of bloating. My symptoms just started about 2 months ago out of no where. In had my gallbladder out 4 years ago and never had this issue before. Are you doing pt for your dizziness? I don't have my session until next week.

• Posted

yes. I 'm taking PT for my dizziness. They ask me to do certain exercise(very simple ones) for dizziness in the session They say my neck is too much stiff and they are also working on it and i'm doing neck exercise too.  between, did you had non working gallbladder or gallstones for removing the gallbladder sand what symptoms you had? i'm planning to go for surgery for gallstones hoping it will solve my bloating and burping atleast, but i have gastritis too,so doctors say still i will have digestion problems. Appreciate your reply on the gallbladder surgery.

• Posted

Are you in the US? Has the pt helped? As far as my gallbladder, I would have extreme pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen that would wake me up in my sleep. No matter what position I would try would relieve the pain. It was completely full of stones. I'm unsure if it was working or not, I'm assuming not since it was really bad and some of the stones were fairly big. It was so bad that the surgery went way lo her than they had anticipated. I hope your surgery helps you out. Since having mine removed I have felt much better with only a couple of bad days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.