Could my symptoms be GB problems? Advice needed!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am after some advice please from anyone who has had similar symptoms that has GB issues?

For the past year I have had an attack of the same symptoms every few months, only now they are getting worse!

My symptoms are:

Feeling extremely full and uncomfortable especially in my centre upper abdomen and ribs.

Severe vomiting of everything in my stomach, generally ends up yellow fluid (sorry tmi)

Severe diarrhoea that again ends up as bright yellow water.

Feeling so unwel and light headed with hot and cold shivers.

Loss of all appetite and if I have eaten I feel terrible worse.

This gradually comes on over a few hours and use to last only a few hours how ever my last episode lasted 3 days.

I have had blood tests that showed deranged liver functions. Had an endoscopy that showed excess acid in my stomach and a colonoscopy that was all clear.

Please help, I'm at my wits end and struggling to not less this effect my life. I fear soooo much for the next attack is going to happen sad

Any advice, information or experiences welcome.

Thank you so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You symptoms are very similar to those I had before I had my gallbladder removed. The feeling of fullness- as if my stomach was about to burst - and centralised pain sometimes lasting three or four days. This sounds very much like cholecystitis. I then developed jaundice (pale chalky stools and dark urine along with yellowing of skin and whites of eyes) and I was in danger of septic shock. I was admitted to hospital for a week, catheterised and put on IV fluids and antibiotics. I had an ultrasound scan which confirmed gallstones followed by an MRI scan and an ERCP while in hospital followed by a further ERCP as an outpatient but the stones were too numerous and large to be removed by ERCP.

I was never actually sick but had bouts of nausea and I did have several bouts of diarrhoea which were as you described. The yellow colour is due to bile.

All this was preceded by several months of lack of appetite and night sweats. I felt generally unwell, but could not work out what was wrong until I had the gallbladder attacks.

Once I had a diagnosis I switched to a high fibre, low fat diet which helped my symptoms until I had surgery four - five months later.

In my case, I needed open surgery so recovery takes longer than laparoscopy and this was complicated further by needing a liver resection five weeks later due to a growth in the gallbladder found after the surgeons removed it. I emphasise that this is very rare, but my advice to anyone is if you get a diagnosis of gallstones don't mess about - have it out asap. Basically, once you have stones they won't go away and you are in danger of sepsis or peritonitis and the stones can affect the liver and pancreas. I know five people who've had surgery with good outcomes and I am now ten weeks post liver resection and feeling so much better.

Please see a doctor and pester for more tests to get a diagnosis. I hope all goes well

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response, I'm glad to hear you are feeling much better.

I have managed to get an upper abdominal ultrasound on Friday so hopefully I will get more answers.

May I ask, did you have pain in your right side or shoulder as this seems a regular symptom but I haven't had pain on my right side?

Thank you

• Posted

Mostly my pain was central which caused me to be misdiagnosed initially as having kidney stones. There was also blood in my urine coincidently so misdiagnosis was understandable.

Later on. as the attacks worsened, I did get upper Right sided pain and pain in my right shoulder blade as well. The shoulder pain was more of an ache. Mainly the worst of the pain was central.

Obviously I'm still recovering and find that if I try to do too much my shoulder still aches but otherwise, apart from the discomfort you'd expect around the incision, I'm well and on the mend.

I'm relieved you've managed to get an ultrasound appointment as if you have gallstones you don't want to hang about. Aim to get a referral for surgery as I think they have to treat you within 18 weeks of the referral. The wait for surgery is awful - hence 'sick of waiting' - as I deteriorated quickly. Daughters sister in law (in early 30s, slim and fit) was also ill at same time and had laparoscopic procedure same week as I had open cholecystectomy. She was up and back to normal within two weeks and running around after her two little girls.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

• Posted

Hello Victoria

I definitely had symptoms similar to yours and I had large stones in my gallbladder, I assume I'd had them many years and tolerated nausea that dreaded fullness and pain that hung around and moved ! I lost weight with low apetite as I dreaded meal times and wondering what may antagonise the gallbladder / stones. I was rareIy sick but the nausea was debilitating and I tolerated this for several months / year before I went back up my gp when I was referred and operated in within 3 months. Best thing I could have done I feel so much better smile I have no regrets regarding having the operation and wish you all the best of luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.