Could my symptoms relate to a stomach ulcer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due for an endoscopy on Tues.  I have suffered from GORD for 12 years and take 40mg Omeprazole daily.  Over the last month or so, my reflux has got worse and i am wondering whether i may have a stomach ulcer.  I get continuous mild abdominal pains (radiating to my lower back).  My appetite seems unaffected but my reflux has worsened.  I was tested years ago for Hpylori and it was negative and i bought a home test kit last week to test for H pylori but that came up as negative.  I know i will know more once i have my endoscopy but just wondered if anyone who has an ulcer thinks that i may have one based on my symptoms? thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's possible but with a stomach ulcer you have pain in one specific area and it's a burn, ache, miserable, can't move, persistent pain. With my attacks, I had the lower back pain too. But yes the endoscopy will definitely solve that mystery! Sometimes doctors mistake stomach problems for acid reflux, so they could be giving you medicines that you don't need and that is why they are not working. At least that is what happened repeatedly in my experience. 
  • Posted

It could be a number of things, but yes, an ulcer is one of them.  I had pain that centered just under my sternum.  It got to the point I was passing out.  Turned out, I had many ulcers.  They have some pretty good medicine out there that helps with most ulcers so don't be too worried about it.  I also had a pretty good case of acid reflux.  Don't stress over it... it could make it hurt more.  Just wait to find out what it is, then deal with it then.  :-)
  • Posted

what is GORD?  I had an ulcer and yes the pain bad let us know how you get on

• Posted

I think it's all in the spelling ie the Americans say GERD as they spell Esophegal and the UK spell it Oesphagul so same thing but different spelling :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.