Could Nexplanon cause side effects after 2 years?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I (21f) had a 3-year Nexplanon chip inserted almost exactly 2 years ago. I have recently been experiencing symptoms that could be side effects of the insert, but I have not experienced any other side effects at all since the first few months after I initially got the insert (in the first couple months I had an extended period and some fluctuations in my breasts, but since then I have had no period and no changes in my breasts, or any other noticeable symptoms).

These side effects started with fluctuations in my weight - I generally weigh 125-120lbs, but in the months of August - September, my weight gradually and consistently dropped to a low point of 103lbs, which lasted until around mid October, when I started forcing myself to eat as much (usually healthy) foods as possible, and I have been able to bring my weight up to 109lbs, but I can't seem to gain anything beyond that. Shortly after I noticed the weight loss, I began to experience loss of appetite, and occasionally slight nausea when I tried to eat certain foods, but the nausea was inconsistent and usually not too severe, though it was enough to make it difficult to keep food down at times. The nausea has mostly subsided at this point but I still experience reduced appetite, commonly half of my normal plate is more than enough to fill me. I have consistently been having some abnormal discharge for a couple months, having a white or mucous-like appearance, and containing what looks to be small roll-like bits of tissue, which I initially thought could be remnants of my uterine lining shedding without the excess of blood that is experienced in a normal period, though I do not know if this is at all possible. I have also been experiencing increased joint pain, and pain in my upper and lower back. I have also experienced minor cramping in my abdomen, which wasn't a side effect of my cycle even without the birth control. Then, in the past 2-3 weeks, I have noticed my breasts became swollen and tender, and occasionally I feel a sharp pain on the lateral side of my right breast, stretching from the top (about an inch below my armpit) to the bottom lateral side of my breast, the pain lasting probably around 2-3 minutes. At this point I was concerned that my birth control had failed, so I took a pregnancy test, which came back negative. I took another 2, each spread about a week apart, and they were all negative. Then last night, I noticed that I was light spotting (bright red colour, no clots), which is continuing into today.

I'm not sure if these symptoms could be explained by my birth control, or what (if anything) is causing them, or if it's entirely normal and I'm overreacting. I feared it was pregnancy, then cancer, but I saw multiple doctors and there were no answers. When I saw my primary care doctor, they referred me to a rheumatologist for my joint pain, and prescribed me omeprazole for my nausea (it didn't help at all). I went to the emergency room at one point when there was some minor petechiae originating on my ribs, then appearing on my neck and face (which the doctor believed was the result of a minor viral infection). At the ER they ran a comprehensive full blood panel (which came back normal, though I wasn't able to get a copy of the report) as well as a test for Lyme disease (which came back negative), a pregnancy test (negative), and a chest x-ray (which showed no irregularities).

I am not sure what steps to take, and advice would be greatly appreciated. My doctor either doesn't believe me or doesn't think the symptoms are significant, but either way they did not address my complaints. Either way, I am worried and not sure what to do.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.