Could ranitidine make things worse? How to identify LOW stomach acid?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I have been struggling for the past month and my doc is now referring me for a gastroscopy.

My main symptoms are

constant need to burp (can't always do one though)

acid reflux

tenderness where oesophagus meets stomach

feeling of lump in the throat

I am very sensitive to meds and was 'happily' on just 75mg ranitidine a day, with no problems, until this all started just over a month ago.

A long period of stress AND a few weeks on ibuprofen for a very bad back preceded this.

My doc told me to increase the ranitidine but it has all just got worse, to the point where I woke up choking on acid last night.

I have read that low stomach acid can have the same symptoms but my doc is not interested in this theory.

Am very lost and getting very depressed and scared now.

Does anyone have any advice please? I am at my wits end

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should probably ask for something stronger than ranitidine like nexium

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I am in the same boat as you! I too have read that low stomach acid is much more common than believed. I was given Zantac (ranitidine) two weeks ago and stopped taking it after reading about low stomach acid.

I feel full all the time, burp often, have the stuck in the throat feeling and can feel food going down. I also suffer from anxiety. May I ask how old you are? I am a healthy 70 year old. This started for me a month ago - I have lost 10 pounds because I don't want to eat.

My NP diagnosed me with IBS, and I do have those symptoms as well. I am sick of feeling sick!

And yes doctors poo poo the low stomach acid! There is a home test of taking hydrochloride acidyou know! (it comes tomorrow) to see if you have stomach acid. I will let you know!

Best wishes,

Peggy

• Posted

Mary, one more thing - if you have low stomach acid, of course an anti-acid will make you feel worse.

• Posted

It's a dilemma as I do have acid reflux and need to calm it. Hence not knowing what to do for the best.

It's very confusing.

From all that you read constant reflux can be very damaging.

I have tried the Bicarb test 4 times and that says virtually no stomach acid!

I am 60 btw

• Posted

See your doctor again and ask for something stronger and try milk to soothe the acid. Ranitidine is quite a mild medication.I have experienced the lump in the throat sensation and choking on acid. However, I don't experience burping or tenderness in the oesophagus. It sounds like acid reflux. Stress will make the symptoms worse.

• Posted

That is exactly what what happened to me You're not crazy I have read many articles confirming this theory Oddly Major stress and significant pain in my back was something I as well dealt with They eventually found I suffer from something called Barretts Oseaphuges It's when the acid gets out of control It's a pre cancerous situation I also have a hiatel hernia Both of which need surgery However the Docs say Just keep taking Prilosec It always makes it worse I just wanted you know You are not imaging things I keep my Tums close to me at all times Good luck

• Posted

Hello Mary, I have experienced very similar symptoms to yours and following a gastroscopy this Tuesday find I have helicobacter pylori. I am now on Clarithromycin and Amoxicillin and while I cannot say I am feeling better yet, at least I know I will in time. Hope you get some sort of resolution following your gastroscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.