Could this be a cold or something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just a bit of backstory: a few months ago I had this issue where it felt like my throat was partially closed. I felt like my throat was only around 40% open. It was pretty worrying and just randomly came on out of nowhere. It gradually got better throughout the afternoon and went away.

Now, the last few weeks have had me a bit worried again. Here's the list of symptoms I've had in the order I've had them.

I had the need to constantly swallow. This lasted about a day.

I had the need to constantly bring up mucus in my throat and swallow. This lasted about a day.

My throat felt tight and my breathing restricted. It felt like my throat was only around 70 or 80% open compared to usual. This was pretty persistent for about a week. I saw a doctor who told me it just sounded like anxiety. I've never suffered from anxiety attacks and nothing has happened lately that could cause it.

I'm still bringing up a fair amount of mucus. Not as much or constantly as that initial day though.

I had one morning where I was in the showing and bringing up mucus and instead it was blood. I brought it up and spat it out maybe 3-4 times and afterwards there was no blood. Have not brought up any blood again since.

I then felt like I had a lump stuck in my throat. This lasted for about a day.

Then in the right side of my neck, right under my ear, it felt like there was a build up of pressure. Wasn't too intense and went away after a day.

Things felt like they were going back to normal. Doc gave me Amoxil anti-biotics in-case it's some sort of infection.

Developed a slight pain in the lower right side of my neck. Don't know if it's related. Its mostly gone now anyway.

Just last nigh, within an hour after dinner and taking the Amoxil, I quickly felt like I had something stuck in my throat again. It lasted the rest of the night. More worrying, I felt a moderate amount of pressure under both my ears like last time. This got really strong. It wasn't painful, but it got to the point where I felt some serious pressure both on and right below my ears as the night went on. It felt like I needed my ears to pop, but they wouldn't.

Fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the night with what felt like the beginning of a sore throat. But woke up again a few hours later and that was gone.

It's morning now, and I feel some fairly light pressure under my ears and my throat feels maybe 80% or 90% open, but otherwise I feel okay.

this same day, the pressure in my ears mostly went away, but it felt like it moved onto to my actual ears themselves. One in particular is sort of sore. It feels a bit like when you get water in your ear.

Also, this same day, I've felt a bit sick in the stomach, but that might be a result of the anti-biotics.

This has all happened over a 10-14 day period.

So, does this sound like it might be a cold or infection of some sort? I don't have a cough or runny nose, though. My immediate thought was it could be some sort of cancer or something, but symptoms appearing from that wouldn't come and go, would they? They would be persistent?

I'm 30, male. I'm generally fit. Not overweight. I don't smoke, do any drugs, drink alcohol, etc. I drink pretty much only water.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.