Could this be a tick bite or is it something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Yesterday, i saw a red spot on my arm. Thougt about a tick bite (lyme/ EM) because of the shape. Never have seen an actual tick. Todayr the spot was much smaller. Does this make it unlikely that it is lyme, because the rash should then last longer?  See both pictures.

Yesterday: https://www.dokter.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/4C182451-7437-4206-9D7D-751EA853D516.jpeg

Now: https://www.dokter.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BABE2F16-4FEF-4864-B2A6-B93D9EC7E5B3.jpeg

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would say that it's a bite but from what I'm not sure, usually tic bites still have the bit in situ but that doesn't look that way, maybe you could see a local nurse at walk-in centre.

Is it painful or itching

• Posted

Hi Alexandria, thanks for your reply. It’s not really painful. Maybe a little but, but this could also be ‘mental’ because I’m so aware of it.
  • Posted

Went to GP. He was not sure, but thought it not to be lyme. He gave me the choice: either take 2 weeks of antibiotics or do nothing for now. Chose not to take as the chance seems small it’s really lyme. Could it be a bite from a horsefly?
    • Posted

I am sure you have done the right thing, yes it could be a horse fly bite, my hand swelled right up after one of those

I have seen tic bites their quite reactive.

How's it looking now

• Posted

Thanks. It’s just the center spot (~ 1x1 cm / 0,5 x 0,5 inch) which remains, the red rash around it is gone. 

Strange thing is that the ‘bite’ was there for some days before the rash, so no immediate reaction like you describe.  I’ll keep an eye on it!

• Posted

I had instant reaction because I'm allergic to most insect bites, don't know why, any bite even natt bites are the same, keep an eye on it but I say don't worry it's starting to go down so that's a good sign

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.