Could this be an intercostal muscle knot?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this could be:

Back in March I had a month and a half long anxiety attack (which has never happened before). In the middle of this episode I developed a sharp pain in my middle left rib area just below the breast. It soon spread near my sternum and around my left ribs until I finally calmed down, now the pain seems to stay where it first developed.

I felt around and noticed a pea sized lump very deep under the skin, it’s smoothe round and a little movable but pretty firm. I noticed another around the same area, they don’t hurt but the area around it sometimes will. 

I’ve gone to two doctors and asked if they could feel it just to reassure me but none of them would, the first doctor told me that “lumps are just lumps” and the second said to keep an eye on it.... both of which caused a lot of panic in me. 

I am 19 and fit. During my anxiety attack I stopped going to the gym and eating regular, I have scoliosis and my left ribs actuallystick out a bit more and my posture wasn’t too great during this time, I’ve also been feeling the lump a lot out of worry and it hasn’t seem to grown at all (I think?). 

If anyone can tell me what it could be I’d appretate it. I have horrible anxiety when it comes to these things and nothing seems to calm me down. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Airisto panic/anxiety that seems to go on for an extended time is usually called GAD, generalised anxiety disorder, it is like it never turns into a full blown panic attack just sits in the background making you feel extremely on edge all the time.

Eventually this will fade once you become acclimatised to it, as for your pain so long as you have been checked out by your GP then it want be anything serious but it will still play on your mind which in turn will increase your anxiety again.

The lumps though are a different matter, didn't your GP even check them just to reassure you, do you have

hormone related breast soreness

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, I know I have anxiety issues, I’ve never had it this bad before though. When a lady I know was diagnosed with cancer that kinda sent me over the edge. 

I went to a patient first doctor who touched a random part of my chest and said not to worry (he never even felt the lump...) and I also went to a physical therapist who didn’t touch the lump but listed things it could be. Yes I have breast pain from hormones but my lump is below the breast on the rib muscles, so I’m not sure if that would be linked. 

I really think it could be muscle knots... i Have almost all the symptoms. I just want someone to feel them and tell me if I should be concerned.  Thank you for the reply, I guess I’ll make another doctors appointment. I do not have a set GP. 

• Posted

Glad I could at least give you a sounding board, it could very well be just the way you are and you haven't noticed it before and sometimes when we are fixated on something we feel,see, imagine things that are not as big as we imagine them to be, yes go back to your GP and get him to check it for you then you can get some peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.