Could this be an ulcer or gastritis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone! I'm 21 years old and I've been experiencing weird symptoms for at least 8 months now. It started with nausea almost everyday. Now, I'm getting chest pains, pains under my left rib cage, and also upper back pain. This has been on on for about 2 months. I had a chest X-ray and ultrasound done which was fine. My doctor keeps thinking it's GERD, or gas. She put me on omeprazole and I've been taking it for 2 days now. Still feeling the chest, back, & stomach pain under my ribs. Also constipated off and on.  She said if omeprzole doesn't help we'll get more tests .Does anyone have similar symptoms. My grandmothers brother died in his 30s due to stomach cancer so I'm a little worried! 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Also, I was tested for H pylori, and that came back negative. 
  • Posted

You need to take omeprazole for 4 weeks to notice a real difference.  Some start to benefit after a few days of taking it. Persevere for longer.  Could be gastritis.  Cancer would be very rare at your age.  Rib cage and back pain are signs.of gastritis.  Having constipation may also point to IBS because some people get pain under their ribs with IBS.  Do you ever get lower abdominal pain that moves about?  Try not to worry because anxiety will worsen your symptoms.
    • Posted

Yes, I do occasionally get lower abdominal cramps. And I also have change in bowel habits. It seems as though all of my symptoms either point to an ulcer, gastritis or cancer. I'm trying not to worry but it's hard. Also, I got blood work done and everything was fine and I'm not anemic. but I had EXTREME vitiam D deficiency, which of course scared me a little more! 

• Posted

Hi ty15547

Being extreme vit D deficient can cause the problems you describe top up your vit D levels with vit D supplements...

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me Vitamin D, which I only have to take once a week. I'm hoping this with the omeprazole helps! 

• Posted

Yes, she have. I have to take it once a week. I'm hoping these two solve my problem. I've never experienced symptoms like this and I can't stop worrying. I'm on the internet 24/7 looking up possible conditions. I also have chest pains that travel under my breastbone whenever I take deep breaths.

• Posted

Your anxiety can be cleared up if you stop researching your symptoms on google. Dr Google will only fuel your anxiety. The only person than can help you and give you a diagnosis is your doctor.  Once you stop looking up possible conditions, you will start to feel,much calmer.  Replace Dr Google with a hobby or light exercise such as walking.  This will keep your mind busy on positive, enjoyable pursuits.
  • Posted

Hi

I’ve had those symptoms, I have chronic Gastritis. 

• Posted

Hi! Can you explain your symptoms? Mine seems worse when I'm on my feet all day at work. The back and chest pains are way worse then. But since I've been off a few days it seems a little better, but still there. 

• Posted

Hi

My symptoms are pain in my diaphragm when I eat, it’s like a knife going through me, burning sensation right down my stomach lining, acid reflux, pain under the breast bone, right in the middle, again like a knife stabbing into me. I’ve also been getting pain in my upper right quadrant, but I don’t think it’s connected, Think their might be other issues. I get pain in the lower back, middle back and upper back. The nausea is terrible, it can last for days, then I might get a few days without it, then it comes back. I also get a lot of chest pains. It’s definitely worse through the day than it is at night. I get a lot of bowel issues as well, constipation, diarrhoea, light coloured bowel movements, pains in my lower stomach area, around the bowels. It’s so stressful as I never feel good, it gets you down. I never enjoy eating, in fact I hate it at times, because of the pain and nausea. 😞

• Posted

I'm sorry you have to suffer with that. Are you taking any meds for it? I'm on omeprazole and I don't see where it helps much. But at least you know exactly what's going on with you! I have absolutely no clue, which make things 10xs worse! And it doesn't help that my grandmother's brother died of stomach cancer

• Posted

It does sound like gastritis. Did you get better with the meds?
    • Posted

I've been on omeprazole for a week, and I don't see what it's doing. I'm suffering from tingling in my hands, which I've read is a side effect of it. The pains come and go, and seems to be worse when I'm on my feet all day at work. That's when I really feel the chest and back pains. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.