Could This Be Another Diverticulitis Attack? (*it's been a while

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have left and right sided diverticulosis. I haven't had a significant diverticulitis flare requiring meds in almost a year. 3 weeks ago I became very ill after a night out at an anniversary party. The next day I woke up with sharp abdominal pains that came in waves. The pains increased throughout the morning until the diarrhea started. I was nauseous and eventually developed a very high fever. (103) I went to the urgent care center, and was told that it was either food poisoning or a very aggressive stomach flu and that it should pass in 24-48hrs, given an iv and sent home to recouperate. I did get better initially, and the acute symptoms have resolved, but I still can't shake these episodes of feeling ill again. My stomach aches some days. Today, it happened again. I start feeling weak, and my stomach started to have a dull ache on either side (top as well), I felt nauseous and have to lie down. I felt like I had the flu as well. Then the next day, it's gone. I know this sounds weird, but I honestly think that I am experiencing a smouldering diverticuitis attack, and also I feel like that acute episode of illness 3 weeks ago was diverticulitis as well, although i've never gotten such a high fever before. What do you guys think? Oh, and as far as diarrhea, that did resolve, but now my bowel movements strangely alternate between nice and soft and rock hard... WEIRD! (don't mean to gross you guys out~sorry!)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You probably did pick up food poisoning (possibly mild) at the party you went to. This would normally be over in a day or so. But, it may have kicked off a diverticulitis episode which takes more time to resolve. it may need a course of antibiotics to resolve this.
  • Posted

I would go to your regular doctor or a GI if you have one. Did you tell the, at urgent care that you had a history of diverticulitis? I went into the ER with similar issues last year and the ER physician said the same thing, you must have the flu, food poising by the way doesn’t cause a fever. Anyway when I told them I had a history of diverticulitis they immediately sent me for a CT with contrast and low and behold found right sided diverticulitis. 
  • Posted

In the beginning of my DD  (not knowing what it was ) I began experiencing what we jokingly thought were labor pains. Quickly escalated to severe nausea, vomiting,  fever, chils, unable to walk on my own. That's when I went to the ER and was first diagnosed with Diverticulitis. The false labor pains were actually my colon spasming. I suffered through extreme  "stomach flu" symptoms for 2 years. It is Diverticulitis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.