could this be Celexa withdrawal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have been dizzy/lightheaded and nauseous for 5 weeks now, with no answers from my doctors.

On Dec 7th, I was taken off of 40mg Citalopram (Celexa) and abruptly switched to 20mg Prozac because I needed to take a GI medication that interacted with Celexa.

I had been on Celexa with great results for more than 10 years.

Two to three weeks later, I started having very frequent dizzy/lightheaded spells. They felt like weakness, disorientation, lack of coordination for a few seconds at a time and then OK in between. Just like a head rush when you stand up too quickly.

Unfortunately, it's been 5 weeks, and I still feel like this. Has anyone had this happen when discontinuing a Cerlexa or switching SSRIs? Did it last for this long?????

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It definitely sounds like it could be. Best to go back to your GP. All heck broke loose with me about 2 1/2 weeks after stopping the cit cold.

I wish you well - Michelle

• Posted

I've been cutting down for about a month and off them now for about 10-14 days. Felt fine, at first, but now have constant muzzy head and light-headed. Will persevere though as I can't expect to have no withdrawal symptoms after 13 yrs. on different antidepressants.
    • Posted

Hi,

Did you have sexual SEs, and if so, did they go away after stopping?

Regards

• Posted

All of my side effects kicked in at once about the beginning of week 3 , which is when I ran to my dr.

However she did say that if I wanted to persevere, I would probably be through it in another 2-3 weeks.

I felt so terrible I decided not to and go back on - that was June 2012. So now this time is extra slow, but only time will tell. What I do know is I have new effects this time with slow : mouth blisters and itching, but I will take this over the flu symptoms and severe leg cramming any day!

You know I wish you well - Michelle

• Posted

Hopefully, it will be worth all the side effects, although they aren't major. A couple of paracetemols helped.

Stick with it peeps! We will all get there. wink wink

• Posted

Hello, I just found this thread (from 5 months ago) and am very grateful you started this conversation. I have been off of Citalopram for 2.5 weeks and feel horrible. All last week, I was experiencing profound depression. No energy, thoughts of worthlessness, didn't even bath or get dressed the whole week. Worst of all, I experienced extreme dizziness every time I stood up or walked.  Since I suffer from migraines and am peri-menopausal, I thought these were the culprits. But, after analyzing this with my boyfriend, he asked if there had been a change in my meds....I let him know that my gp never gave the pharmacy permission to refill when I ran out. I ordered a refill a good week before I ran out, but the dr. didn't respond. Today, I finally got the refill and took a dose immediately. I have an appt with the dr. on Monday and I'm gonna give her a piece of my mind. Going cold turkey for so long has been pretty bad. The pharmacist told me to expect the symptoms to go away in a couple days.  But, I was wandering the internet and stumbled upon this thread. Thankyou everyone, and good health to all! biggrin
    • Posted

If you read the post 'Coming off Citalopram' you will see this is common.

I hated the dizziness and thought it would never go away but it did in about a month max.

I have now been drug for for 8 months and not coping at all but so reluctant to go back on because of the weight gain.

I've cried almost every day, since January so going back to see my doc. 

• Posted

Bless your heart. Being so depressed on a daily basis is torture. I'm REALLY glad you're going to see your doctor. I am seeing mine tomorrow. While off of Citalipram I missed a whole week of work. I couldn't hardly get out of bed. For 10 days I I didn't bathe or get dressed. Crying a lot and feeling worthless. It's only the 2nd day being back on Citalipram and I have already started feeling better. I am extremely over weight, but I don't think the drug is the cause - I have a desk job 10 hours a day and sit in front of the tv when I get home. That is going to change. I know you're worried about weight gain if you start taking it again, but it's not worth being slender if you are emotionally drained and miserable. Let me know how it goes with your doctor. Best Wishes, Beth
    • Posted

Exactly  what my cousin said to me, Beth.  Why be slimmer and utterly miserable? 

I will, probably, try a differnt pill from aany I've been on.  I just need some respite from crying all the time.

Isn't it THE most awful feeling when you just don't want to go on? 

I've no interest in doing any exercise.  I suppose I blame a lot on the medication and not just because I sit on my fat a**!!!

take care, Beth and keep me posted too.  x

• Posted

Yes! That all encompassing feeling that you are worthless, inept and so very tired. It is a nightmare and I don't want a repeat performance. When I'm feeling well I still have major self esteem issues, so I don't want to magnify that!  And, exercise is Sooo easy to put off. We can do it, you and I!😀
    • Posted

As soon as I open my eyes, the tears start and my stomach churns so I just can't go on feeling like this.

The weight that I put on added to my depression and that's why I came off them but I've only lost 6 lbs. in 6 months.

I need help of medication and that is it.

Wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.