Could this be Coeliac?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm sure stuff like this gets posted all the time, so I hope you don't mind me asking.

When I was a teenager I had bad IBS, rashes and ulcers. I had the Coeliac blood test, but it came back negative because I had already removed gluten from my diet after seeing positive changes in my symptoms.

I am now 24 and decided to get tested again; I have my blood test next week and have been eating gluten for about 2 months. Surprisingly, I have had few IBS like symptoms, only occasional mouth ulcers and this weird rash.

The rash is on my face and feet, it looks a bit like ringworm but doesn't respond to antifungals. At first it was just red, then after a few weeks it started itching and I couldn't stop scratching. Now it's really stinging and sometimes it feels like something is seeping from the broken skin. However, it doesn't look anything like DH pictures I've seen online. It covers my nose, cheeks and chin and is red.

Before I added gluten back to my diet, I had clear skin. I also sometimes get this rash when I accidentally gluten myself. For example, I once ate a gluten free poppadom that had been fried in a fryer used for food items containing gluten, and the rash showed up on my face and hands.

Has anybody else experienced this rash? It's the worst symptom I have.

I suppose I'm also wondering what it could be if my blood test returns negative. I'm going to bring it up with my GP anyway when she tells me my blood test results.

Many thanks in advance!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi jamun, it looks like you've joined the right forum. i think you have answered the coeliac question. i would say this sounds like coeliac disease. the rash i have no idea about. go see your doctor you need to be screened for coeliac disease. it's a camera then biopsies, i believe it is the only way to say definitely if it's that or not. doctor's blood tests won't cut it. try to keep some gluten in the hospital MUST see you and test when you're ill. if you speak to your doctor/chemist they may suggest a cream. i wish you luck - the only thing with the tests is even though they're not great they say for sure whether you have coeliac disease or not and a diagnosis does help. i was only diagnosed this year, it has helped in some ways and not in others.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I have my blood test tomorrow morning. I thought you need a positive blood test to get referred to biopsy?

How comes the diagnosis was both positive and negative?

• Posted

good luck to you, at least you will finally know what's what. i hope you get a result you can work with. the result said i was coeliac which i didn't quite expect but i had told i had IBS for 12 years so understandably i was a little confused. it's so hard as i am also veggie with a possible allergy on top.

• Posted

Yes - this is Coeliac disease. The skin problem - there is a linked skin problem which some coeliacs get - look at the Coeliac UK website for details.

• Posted

Thank you, it does look a bit similar. I've taken some photos to show the GP. I had the blood test done last Tuesday, so just waiting for the results now!

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Just an update. Blood test came back negative for coeliac but positive for wheat allergy.

I have a full allergy test next Friday because GP thinks I might have other food allergies.

Thanks for your help!

Jam

• Posted

hi! how are you doing now? i just wonder if you also had persistent diarrhea? hope you are well already xx

• Posted

whoops! I replied in the wrong place, see my most recent reply below 😃

• Posted

hi jaminjarred, you have coeliac disease I reckon. i was only diagnosed last year at age 46, i remember attending a support group when i had been diagnosed, one of the people who had coeliac disease had mouth ulcers to months and a strange rash just like you described. coeliac disease presents in lots of ways and the only way to know you have it is through a blood test and biopsies which tell you if your bowel is working properly or not. good luck, the camera is not nice but necessary, the biopsies will tell you if your coeliac or not.

• Posted

Hi everyone

It turns out I am not Coeliac but allergic to wheat following RAST allergy tests!

it's a bit of a pain, because I react to a different protein that's not gluten, I still react to gluten free products sometimes. for example, I've only found one brand of oats I can eat so far, and they're quite expensive. Also gluten free wheat starch is becoming more popular, and also something I have to avoid. oh well! I'm glad I have my answers 😃

I did get occasional diarrhoea but apparently not as frequent as someone with Coeliac, I hope that helps.

• Posted

oh no, poor you! that's worse than coeliac disease. have you been offered any support? do you see a dietitian or health professional or a group? coeliac disease makes things easy, at least you know what you have and what you can and can't eat. i hope you find some foods that work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.