Could this be Colon Cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello  I did not know which discussion to post under but thought this was the best one.  Some background info  Female age 69 on various medication have osteoarthritis in several joints underactive thyroid and anxiety.  I was diagnosed with IBS around 6/7 years ago.  Gp at the time did not think I needed a colonscopy because symptoms were typical.  The last few years have been stressful for various health problems and last year we moved 200 miles away to live near daughter.  I found this both emotionally and physcially stressful and my anxiety has been at an all time high since last summer.  This year has seen me have heart scan tests which turned out fine.  My husband recently a colonscopy because he was low on iron.  Several benign polys were removed and next scope is in one year.  I have always tended toward constipation with the IBS in fact through life.  The last 8 months or so I have more constipation.  Not the type where you can't go for days.  Going nearly every day but not passing very much sometimes rabbit type and lumpy stool but nearly always going everyday.  I wondered at the time if because I had been given a diuretic by new gp for blood pressure that maybe I was getting rid of too much water that and the fact I was stressed and anxious almost 24/7 and not sleeping that wll which is still the case.  I assumed this was must my IBS.  At the end of January I got really bad back pain and some low abdominal pain similar to IBS and the next day I thought I had a urinary infection I had a bowel movement which was had blood in the faeces and then blood in urine.  As it was the weekend I saw an emergency doctor who prescribed antibiotics the urinary symptoms cleared up although the doctor said the urine test was clear.  I then saw my gp on the Monday to tell her about the blood in stools and constipation etc.  She did a rectal exam which she could only find remains of old external pile from years ago. She prodded my stomach and said that was ok.  She prescribed Movocol for the constipation which worked but gave me awful bloating and cramps.  I returned to the gp again and this time she gave me fybogel/Mebeverine which is for IBS bowel regulation.  After I had blood in stools for around 3/4 weeks one  regular movement once a day.  I thought the bleeding had cleared up and she referred me to non urgent hospital for investigation.  When the bleeding started again(maybe it did not stop although I though it did) she cancelled that and referred me on 2 weeks urgent appointment which is in  10 days time.  It is very hard to describe the bleeding none in pan always in the stools red to dark red and if I wipe the stool or myself it is light red like you have wiped a graze if you know what I mean.  It has now been going on for 6 weeks.  I know you cannot say for certain what is causing this but do you think it might be colon cancer.  As you can imagine my mind is working overtime.  I can't relax and am thinking about it all the time.  Any comments would be most welcome.  My husband does not let things get to him and cannot understand why I am so anxious and petrified of what it might be and what might lie ahead. Sorry for the long post.  Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to say I have just had a  full blood count done and Gp says there is no  infection, inflammation and I am not anaemic.
  • Posted

There are many, many things it could be before you even get close to bowel cancer. As you have always had IBS, that is going to be the top suspect. Constip[ation, and straing would also cause this. Have you tried just drinking a lot more water/fluids? This would definitely help any constipation problem.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I do drink a lot of water already.  I think that the heart of the constipation problem is my anxiety as it is always worse when I am anxious or stressed and not sleeping.  The fybogel seems to have stopped working as although it is making me go each morning the stools are back to 1 or 2 on the bristol stool chart although easy to pass.  I say my gp this morning as she tells me that several thinks can cause constipation in IBS.  She now prescribed lactolose twice daily.  I hope it does not give me bloating and wind.  She also said not to take the mebeverine as sometimes that can relax the colon too much and cause constipation.  So it is a matter of trial and error at the moment.  With regard to the continuing blood in stools she seems to think It is an internal hemmeroid which is not healing due to the constipation.  I had noticed that hard or lumpy stools seem to have more blood  than soft ones.  Sorry to be so graphic.  She said my blood tests show I am not anaemic,no infection or inflammation.  I have my first appointment in a weeks time at the hospital and I am expecting they will want to do a colonoscopy.  She also did a rectal exam and felt my stomach on a previous appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.