Could this be drug dependency?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My bf has been taking Tramadol 50 mg every 9-10 hours for 6 years. He's also been taking Gabapentin 300 mg at the same time. for the past year. He decided to try going without both , but after 12 hours started aching all over, had tingling sensations, stomach cramps and vomiting. is it possible to have drug withdrawal symptoms when your doses had been that low?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes you can be addicted to low doses of these drugs and what he experienced after stopping are classic withdrawal symptoms.

I wouldnt think its a good idea to just stop taking those medications after years of taking them everyday, it could be very unsafe.

He would be best cutting down the dose slowly, i dont know if the tramadol and gabapentin is prescribed. If so, speak to your doctor and he can tell you the best percentage to cut down on. but it also depends on the amounts he's really taking.

i had a seizure from too much tramadol so im worried if he stops too quickly that could happen to him but im not a doctor.

but to answer your question: Yes you can be addicted to small amounts.

• Posted

Is he prescribed either of the drugs u mention? I'm assuming he is so he should have spoken to the doctor first before trying to stop.

Tramadol is opioid based so is definitely addictive. Cutting down is the best way to stop but he will still have physical withdrawal symptoms similar to heroin but less intense.

When I tried to get off methadone I was still having noticeable withdrawal symptoms even from a low dose of 5ml. Obviously not as intense but I went to work one day forgetting that I had missed my dose and by late afternoon I thought I had caught the flu. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I had not taken my 5ml. I was shocked that it still had an affect. I'd reduced from 80ml a day.

I don't know much about gabapentin except that epileptic sufferers can be prescribed it. My advice would be the same. Reduce slowly and get your GPs advice.

Good luck and best wishes...

Andy

• Posted

Opioid based drugs are really addictive. And taking into account the endurance of using them, I guess it is an addiction which must be treated as soon as possible not to get worse. Here are some rehabs for this

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.