Could this be fibromyalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hei I an new to the forum. I am 66 years of age female with various health problems and on medication. I have been wondering for some time whether I might have this condition is addition to osteo arthritis, knees and neck. Hypothyroidism,asthma,high blood pressure,low vitamin D and osteopenia also IBS for last 2/3 years,and anxiety especially health. My symptoms are as follows

Tirdness,pains everywhere not just knee but down legs and thighs, shoulders, pain between shoulder blades,dry mouth sore jaw and teeth,intolerance to cold and hot,dry skin. I never feel well and I am so fed up. I am due to have a 2nd cataract op in January I also have glaucoma and suffer from blepharitis and dry eyes. I can't help but think that a lot of these symptoms must be related.

What do others think.? I have not mentioned to doctor as yet to be honest although always helpful she must be sick of seeing me. There are probably other symptoms I have forgotten. Would be grateful for any replies. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No I do not think this is fibromyalgia, you have so many things wrong with you that will cause similiar symptoms, if you look them up individually you will find this. Asthma alone can cause body pain, stress from other ilness can cause this pain too, speak to your GP who may be able to alleviate your fears.
  • Posted

A few of your symptoms could be related to Fibromyalgia like the pains and the IBS but to be honest the other health issues you have listed could be the cause of those things, especially the stress! It's probably not Fibromyalgia but speak to your doctor anyway.
  • Posted

Hi Libraladt13,

I think you may have a case of carpal tunnel syndrome -are you familiar with this condition? Did you work

a job with constant use of your hands/ repetitively and did not sit up straight in your chair or used your neck

a lot while moving in one way or another or use the computer for long periods of time without taking a break?

If any of those things may apply to use-you may be able to get some "rehab"or helpful hints to help alleviate

some of your discomfort.

With FIBROM-the pain we feel to our muscle area is only relatable if you can relate it to a doctor that will know exactly what we mean because these muscle pain would not hurt the "person/persons that does not have the condition.So,I would have to agree you a number of issues going on-sounds too like you could be

depressed.

Good thing to stay in touch with your PCP who can refer you to proper Medical Teams that could help you.

E,

• Posted

Thankyou everyone who answered much appeciated. To princessemh89, yes I agree that a big part of my problem is stress and anxiety. My Gp thinks the same however it is so hard to relax when feeling not well all the time and with various things going on in my life. To Elaine85769 yes I am familiar with carpel tunnel syndrome. I have been retired for 6 years but used to work as a telephone interviewer only part time but the job did involve wearing a head set and using a keyboard. However I have been diagnosed with neck arthritis so maybe it is a combination of stress and the arthritis. I am just recovering from a stomach bug so worrying about shopping getting house ready for family coming does not help stress levels. I wish everyone a MerryChristmas and a happy and healthier 2014.
  • Posted

Hello As you will see I posted here a year ago asking if anyone thought I might have Fibromyalgia.  Those kind enough to replied seemed to think no as I have so many other things which cause similar problems.  I did get a handle on my anxiety earlier this year and saw a cbt councillor.  Unfortunately it has come back again following family health problems, husband and son, stress of worrying about them I suppose.  Ibs still waxing and waning and arthritis good and bad days.  My gp on one of my visits when I complained of hurting all over gave me a leaflet on fibromyalgia to read.  I was not sure whether or not I fitted the symptoms completely.  I read somewhere that it is possible to have OA and fibromyalgia together.  Apart from IBS and arthritis pain knees spine neck and possible hips as well according to consultant I saw a while ago, I also have trouble sleeping. I never seem to sleep more that 4 or so hours, I frequently wake and always wake early.  Yes I am tired and achy but not like how lots of fibro sufferers seem to do.  I always wake up aching all over.  My hands always seem sore and slightly achy first thing, inside of elbows are sore and I get a lot of thigh pain and pains down shins and into feet which I was told was probably due to spinal OA.  I have blepharitis and am now on glaucoma drops as well as all the medication.  I always have back ache sometimes low back ache but more often upper not only neck but shoulder blades and generally upper back.  It seems to move around.  Some days are worse than others and I find if I over do it too much walking (I use a stick) then I pay for it the next day.  I have recently been to my gp as I had a spaced out feeling and buzzing ears.  She said it looked like I had an infection in the outer ear now taking ear spray and nasal spray as I have rhinitis.  There are just too many things some must be related surely.  I am spending Christmas with family who live 200 miles away so we will have along car journey as well.  I have been really looking forward to seeing my family especially grandchildren, but am worried about not being able to cope when away.  My husband who has health problems as well is looking forward to it so I have to try and well and lees anxious for him.I never can decide whether some of the pains are bones/muscles ect or digestive in nature.  Sorry to have gone on.  Anyone have any thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.