Could this be Gallbladder removal related?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago.

since that time if i go more than a couple hours without eating i get bad gurgkeing which turns into very low trapped gas which is painful snd can take days to resolve. just wondering if snyone had issues line this. my doctors just seem to blow me off regarding this.My gallbladder surgery is the only thing i can think of.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Wow! I get exactly the same thing in the mornings until I eat breakfast, I had my gb out 8 weeks ago. I can feel it starting in the mornings like indigestion or trapped wind that needs burping and know that if I don't eat something then it will become excruciating, had 3 trapped wind attacks since surgery and they were agony.

• Edited

i have this issues like i would have trapped gas and it will make me feel shortness of breath or like i cant swallow and it even makes my acid reflux worst. but i find i get this when i eat something my body dont agree with or even on empty stomach, its bad sometimes i can go hrs or days without burping or farting and its annoying, sometimes i get pain as well,had my gb out almost 2 yrs ago,

• Edited

Sam carbonated drinks or carbonated water caused the reflux in my case and eating smaller meals has totally controlled my acid reflux.

• Edited

i dont drink no type of juice only water and i still have this, i tried losing weight and i barely eat and still nothing, and because i dont eat much or i dont eat fried or fatty food i lost alot of weight still nothing helps, i think its anxiety that brings mines on, i just dont know what else to do

• Edited

probiotics is a tremendous help for the balance of enzymes and good bacteria in the stomach. without a gallbladder there are no enzymes to break down fat in foods. a balance of good bacteria from eating yogurt or taking probiotics has helped me greatly. i hope you give it a try. it will take a few weeks to see improvement. read up on eating fermented foods for better digestion. a lot of changes in diet can give a great deal of relief. consistency is key.

also gallbladder removal can lead to IBS its important to take care of diet early . i suffered for months from IBS after gallstones and the gallbladder removed. what helped me may not help for everyone... its at least worth a try to manage the pain.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/gallstones-diet-sheet

• Edited

i had the same reaction after surgery . my doctor recommended a better diet to eating less fat and fried foods which is the main culprit of trapping gas. taking gas prevention OTC meds helps before eating.

once gallbladder is removed there ate no enzymes to break down fatty foods. eat more fiber and smaller meals at more times daily.

keep a diary of foods that cause pain and gas and eliminate them all. in time adding some foods back can be ok. always always eat yogurt to add good bacteria to help break up fatty foods.

eating out was a no no. usually . of course we are all on lock down so now we have the chance to prepare our own foods safe from fatty oils and fatty foods. eating probiotics in yogurt or take in pill form will be a huge relief in time foods will be easier to digest.

• Posted

A correction to the previous post. The digestive enzymes from in the liver and included in the bile are still produced after the gallbladder is removed. The gallbladder just acts as a storage, and concentration, organ. The fact that the enzymes are less concentrated means you have to be careful with your diet but most people can follow a near normal diet. This, and other forums, tend to be a bit biased by people with problems as those without them would not normally look for and post about it.

However the other recommendations about keeping a dietary record and seeing what might be causing problems is very good advice.

• Posted

I just got mine out a week and a half ago, the thing that's bothering me the most right now is pain in my shoulder that radiates to my neck, it sucks cuz i can't even turn my neck. Ive taken tylenol, that dont do much of anything. Percocet seems to work but I don't like pain killers. And for some odd ball reason i feel like I have motion sickness. It started like 4 days ago and it sucks. The whole room feels like its moving. I dont know what the hell is going on and why i'm feeling pain in my right shoulder and neck. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my surgery on the gallbladder. And all the gas pains and anesthesisa symptoms only last like 2 to 5 days well i'm experiencing symptoms way beyond that. I hope its just a muscle strain or from the co2 still but I don't know, this pain can be so unbearable that pain killers aren't doing much. I've been using warm compresses and ice to control it and i've been taking a muscle relaxer so I hope its nothing related to my surgery but who knows.

• Edited

I'm a year since surgery. I find eating little and often helps. I try to never let my stomach be empty. and i think it does help. i eat something very small like a rice cake with some tea first thing in the morning before I even get up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.