Could this be Gallstones?

Posted , 6 users are following.

(This was posted somewhere else but it is probably better here)

Long dull abdominal pain, right side, 25 years of age, since roughly 2 months ago i have been experiencing a pain in the right side of my abdomen (just right of my belly button) that would last on average 8-12 hours. The pain usually appears at night time just before bed, but has affected me during the day aswell. The pain is moderate/moderately severe, ie it stops me from doing day to day activities but not so bad that im rolling around on the floor.

I have no burning sensations of any kind, or acidic refluxes and no chest pains or heartburn as of yet, probably should mention that ive never been much good at "passing wind" and during the pain, sometimes get this feeling of something moving around (air)?

I have an appointment for an ultrasound on the 3rd (so far away)

My bowel movements seem reasonable, though i seem to be passing urine more often but with less content.

The pain itself is mostly rooted in place, it hardly ever moves around

Paracetamol is completely ineffective against the pain.

Doctors seem to be at a loss but suggest it may be gallstones. They have ruled out Appendicitis and muscle cramps. Urine and blood tests done , even an X-ray? (Go figure)

Any extra knowledge, helpful hints appreciated.

Chris

x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Could be a blocked bile duct with gall stones...one tip is to not eat anything fatty in the evening to relive the symptoms. That triggers the gall bladder to squirt out bile and if the duct is blocked that's what causes the pain. An ultrasound scan will confirm if the bile duct is blocked.  Have a look at this NHS web site: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cholecystitis-acute/Pages/Introduction.aspx

or:

https://patient.info/doctor/gallstones-and-cholecystitis

Hope this helps

• Posted

sosunds like gallstones to me, Chris, jsut keep off fat for the time being, eat beets with celery, apple and drink apple cider vinegr, one teaspoon in  a glass of water before breakfast. It is an anti inflammatory, also teh beet recipe will clean out your GB.

good luck, keep us informed.

• Posted

Sure does sound like all the symptoms of gallstones. I am sure there are others that post here will agree. I am not a doctor, but have been through the pain, nausea, etc. I had stones and had the surgery as quickly as I could!
  • Posted

This sounds like gallstones to me. I have them and am waiting to have my gallbladder removed.

You mention you are worse at night or in evening. So am I. When do have your main meal lunchtime or evening?

Try a low fat diet.

Ibuprofen are a lot stronger than Paracetamol. you can buy them over the counter.

I also take Co codamol 30 for the pain but you have to get them on prescription.

Hope you get to the bottom of all this.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

I was told by 111 not to take Ibuprofen as it can irritate the stomach?
  • Posted

christophe21581..if you go totally fat free and the symptoms subside, it's pretty much conclusive that it is gall stones and your bile duct is blocked with stones. An ultra sound is what you need asap. My consultant told me not to eat anything above 5% fat before I had the gall bladder out and he was dead right too, as if I did I was in agony. Don't eat late at night either.
    • Posted

Very good advice. Apparently low fat is anything below 3%.

Also a good idea not to eat too late.

I find at the moment that anything I eat tend to cause a flare up of gallstones.Seeing a GP tomorrow

Sarah

• Posted

Just a little update, pain started at 4.30pm, makes me feel sickly and need to be constantly moving to manage it. Appetite has plummeted dramatically. Got rushed to hospital at about 8.30, had 20mg of morphine (no effect on pain), about 11.00 got seen to, blood and urine tests (like before), result the same - all ok. Given me a box of co-codamol that will last 3.5days big woo. Is it more effective than paracetamol?

Sat at home (now 1.00) pain is lingering but managable

Edit: The Cocodamol is making very feel constantly sleepy, is this normal?

• Posted

Yes Co codamol is more effective than paracetamol. They can make you feel sleepy and sick.

Hope this settles down

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

A little update. Just had the ultrasound, need to wait a week for results.

The pain seems to have manifested into a completely constant (ie - never going) but slightly less painful pain ?

The doctor gave me something called Colofac. What is this?

• Posted

hi Chrisophe

sounds like gs to me,Ihave just been told I have gs after I had a altrasound last week.I have been in pain for 8 weeks now and  am seeing my gp tomorrow to discuss my options.My pain is worse in the morning and getting up is hard because of the pain,mainly in right side and back.heat pads help a bit as do laying down.I do hope they find out what is causing your pain.I was so relived when they told me I had gs because I was beinging to think they thought it was all in my mind as I suffer with depression as well but I knew that I was not depressed and if anythink the pain was making me feel depressed.I have been on a low fat diet for 3 week as was told this would help.I do hope they find out whats causing your pain.please keep in touch.i find its nice to beable to discuss things with other people who know how bad the pain can get

Take care

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.