Could this be Gastritis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having issues with my stomach being crampy?

It began about 2 months ago, every day almost all day it would be crampy, worse after I ate. At that time my bowels were totally normal/regular. I started eating a super bland diet and took OTC nexium and it went away after about 2 weeks of that.

Since then I slowly began eating spicy foods again and drinking alcohol, and now it seems to have come back =/. I've also noticed that my bowels have changed now and I have been constipated the last week or so.

Has anyone had anything like this? I don't have any heartburn symptoms really, it's just a crampy feeling all over my stomach. Is it Gastritis?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Philly89

Obviously your gut is not ready for spicey foods and alcohol right just yet and yes you probably do have gastritis. Continue with the bland diet until your gut is healed which will take more than 2 weeks....

• Posted

To diagnose gastritis, you would need an endoscopy. Change of bowel habits, abdominal pain after eating certain foods, and pain felt all over the stomach, particularly pain that moves about, sounds like IBS. I would see you doctor to confirm what you have.

• Posted

Thanks for your input!

I've been avoiding the Dr 1. bc my insurance atm is terrible, my new ins starts Dec 1st lol. And 2. My brother had very similar stomach issues last year and he said basically the Dr just gave him nexium and told him to change his diet - which I've done both already. So I didn't really want to waste like $200 with my bad insurance atm to just hear that haha. =/

• Posted

Everyone is different. Your doctor may give you different advice since you have tried Nexium and diet and it hasn't worked.I don't think you would be wasting money because you don't actually know what your doctor will tell you. Even if you were told to take an antacid and do diet change, this is still good advice because your doctor has to try out simple things first before doing invasive tests that you may not need.

I would recommend that you see your doctor as soon as you get your insurance worked out. I paid a lot of money for an ultrasound that told me nothing which was disappointing at first. However, I still needed that ultrasound to verify that nothing was wrong and this in the end reassured me.

• Posted

Yeah that is true, I think I will def go to the doctor once I get my new insurance in Dec bc then it'll be like $20 instead of $200ish, and it's only a month away.

It seems like he will probably just say change your diet etc bc when I was eating bland and zero alcohol, my stomach DID feel better and the cramps went away. However, when I started eating spicy/acidic stuff again, and drinking on weekends, it came back. So I'm mostly curious like how long do I need to eat bland for?? Is this going to be like a forever thing or is it just gonna take a few months maybe and then I'll be normal again. I am a huge foodie so eating boring food forever would be so depressing lol. =(

• Posted

If it turns out you have gastritis, you will have to eat blandly until your stomach lining heals. If the gastritis is chronic, you may always need to eat blandly.

• Posted

Hi Philly,

Did you try products like Ibarogast or Mastic Gum yet? Please look for it on google.

Green tea also helps a bit, but it did not do much in my case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.