Could this be GCA?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have early OA in my neck and spine diagnosed by a rheumatologist about 20 months ago. My neck aches ever day, my shoulders and my knees. I have no trouble raising hands above head. I have lost about 10lbs in weight since I had a chest infection early January. I coughed and wrenched so much then I had terribly head and eye pains. I get headaches but nothing like the pain I had then. Sometimes I get lower back pain. I get muzzy head, headaches, lightheadedness almost every day. I get tinnitus and sometimes I hear my heartbeat in my ear. I have been to ENT recently and they said ears OK, probably caused by my neck issues. I have veins showing on left temple but only sore above my left eyebrow. I showed these to my GP after rhuemi visit because they weren't there then but he shrugged it off. I take diuretics for BP but recently these are making my muzzy head worse. I also take 10mg citalopram for anxiety. My anxiety has worsened because I keep wondering why I feel like this. I am past 60 and up until a few years ago felt great. Can anyone offer any advice please? I am thinking of going back to GP but I'm afraid he will put it down to anxiety.

Thankyou

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I should add that I suggested PMR to my GP when I showed him the veins in my temple but he dismissed it. I also had very fast heart beat in bed the night before last which scared me.
  • Posted

I've just written a long post which disappeared, so I'll just ask one question - do you happen to follow a low salt diet?  If you do, I will follow up by reconstructing the post because I may have a solution to many of those symptoms.

• Posted

Hello Anhaga,

I add salt for cooking purposes because my husband loves salt but I do not add further salt to food because I am aware of its effect on BP . I do enjoy the occasional takeaway although in small amounts. I don't eat many sweet things either. I don't eat as much as I used to, I tend to eat small amounts more often than large meals and I avoid salt as much as I can .

• Posted

Hi Anhaga,

Were you thinking of hyponatremia by any chance?

• Posted

I guess that's what it's called, although I don't know that I was at the stage where it would be given a name.  I can't face rewriting the post so will private message you a link to a post I made on another forum a couple of days ago.  

• Posted

If anyone else is interested, the post is found by googling healthunlocked salt and morning headaches.
    • Posted

Thanks Anhaga,

The thought occurred to me because I know there is an interaction between the two meds I take that can cause this. I've been on them for several years. Maybe because I have lost weight and am not eating as much as I used too there is a shortfall in my salt intake and the meds are making me excrete salt which could be giving me some of my symptoms. It could be something along the lines of hyponatremia but not full blown otherwise I would know that for sure. My symptoms seem to worsen after taking my diuretic recently. I think it may be worth asking my doctor about.

Thank you very much.

• Posted

Thanks for this Anhaga,

I've read it with interest, an amazing story. It just shows that we have to be pro-active and not necessarily go by the rules.

• Posted

This is the second thing which I've worked out for myself since my PMR diagnosis!  The first was managing to avoid taking osteoporosis drugs, yet successfully reversing my "low bone mass", and now seemingly dealing with some pretty concerning symptoms in a very simple way.  Just lucky, I guess!  So far.  I do have my fingers crossed....🤞

• Posted

That's wonderful news, you are obviously doing something right and long may you continue to make good progress.

I will have to go back to my doctor probably after the bank holiday. Meanwhile I am going to reduce my diuretic to see if it makes a difference. I am on them for border line BP.

Thank you for your help, hopefully we can keep in touch.

Kind Regards ?

• Posted

Just started fosamax a couple weeks ago (1x per week) due to bone density scan showing osteoporosis. Have not felt really well since starting this... slightly nauseous. How did u reverse the bone loss without meds? Started on 30 mg pred last Nov and currently down to 15 .
    • Posted

Hi Carlene.  if you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find my account of what I did - and will for the rest of my life.  Nutrition, a few supplements, appropriate exercise.  😊

• Posted

Did your rheumatologist diagnose you with PMR. ?  You should mention the headaches to the rheumatologist. 

I also had neck and shoulder pains.  I understand that is also a symptom of pmr. Did you do blood tests ?

Feel well. 

• Posted

Hello r.d.s.

No, my rhuematologist had me raise my arms above my head, she examined me and my xray s and said I had early OA in neck and spine and commented that my xray s were better than hers. Blood tests were slightly raised inflammation levels but all other blood works ok. The last time I had blood works was about 4 or 5 months ago, slight raised inflammation marker. I did mention headaches to her. She gave me capsaicin cream and told me to take paracetamol but I cannot. I can only take anadin extra and I worry that I am taking too many of those. I did some physio but it was making me light headed so I had to stop going.

• Posted

If you have no trouble raising your hands above your head I would think that makes PMR as a cause of your other symptoms very unlikely. I assume your GP has done blood tests for inflammatory markers? 

You seem to have reasons for all the symptoms you mention - so even though all together they might provide a google link to GCA, that doesn't mean they are due to that.

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

Thank you all so much for your quick responses.

Yes bloods showed slight elevation in inflammation markers but doctor wasn't concerned, said it was OA.

I do worry a lot but I have felt like this for a while now and probably worse since my chest infection, yet I was ENT after the infection and my ears were ok. He seemed to think my symptoms stemmed from my neck.

I don't know how to control it, I haven't driven my car in 10 months. All I want to do these days is lay on the bed, I have to push myself to do things because I don't feel well a lot of the time.

• Posted

I had the same problem with my GP originally except he said I had a long term virus. I went privately to a rheumatologist in the end. Can you get your blood test results printed out for you? I always ask for mine from the receptionist.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

It was my CPR that was slightly elevated so it could be my OA.

All of these symptoms though!!!!

I will probably see my doctor again.

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated

• Posted

Thanks for your reply ptolemy,

I didn't know that you could do that, something to bear in mind for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.