Could this be GERD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

To start I have anxiety pretty badly especially health anxiety. Ive always belched up after eating for a while. Now lately probably for the last few months ive been getting a sharp pain in my esophagus when swallowing. Mostly spicy foods or dry foods. Sometimes I feel like getting choked on the food and have had to regurgitate it up before. Its gross but that has only happened once. Sometimes it even burns in my esophagus when I swallow water....what could this be? I'm not losing weight or throwing up blood or anything. I'm just a little scared to eat now sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It’s possible you have Gerd. I tend to have bad anxiety when i have a bad reflux attack. I would see your physician and discuss your symptoms 
  • Posted

Hi Chelsea

This sounds like GERD to me, I have suffered Acid Reflux? Gerd for nearly 2 years now and your symptoms are familiar to mine. Are you on any medication? I take PPI's which along with careful diet help control it but biggest problem is anxiety as this really does make it worse. Easy to say stop the anxiety but not so easy to do. 

Hope you find a way of getting rid of this and start feeling better soon,

All the best 

Robin

• Posted

Thank you! Im not currently on any medication for it rolleyes I'm gonna see my doctor this week and maybe get started on something that can help!

• Posted

It could be GERD or maybe an ulcer which can be treated. Anxiety is the worse thing as I am suffering from it as well as barrets and hypertension but anxiety makes things much worse. This might sound silly but try meditation or yoga. A simple trick to reduce anxiety is diaphragmatic breathing ( inhale deeply to the count of 3 then hold it counting to 3 and then exhale to the count of 6). But do go to the doctor and get it seen. The doctor may give meds if it is gerd. Good luck
  • Posted

Hey there smile

Pain in your esophagus when swallowing could indeed be due to inflammation caused by reflux. That inflammation can even cause a narrowing of the esophagus and thus the sensation of food getting stuck or choking. If you are experiencing these symptoms, the truly best thing to do is call your doctor and let them refer you too a ENT or GI doctor.

Those doctors see these cases daily and will direct you down the right coarse of action. Nothing about this sounds serious or untreatable. So relax, call your doctor when you can, and let the process play out. You will be fine smile

God bless!

• Posted

Thank you so much! This helped calm the anxiety about it. I'll be going to the dr this week smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.