Could this be GF?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm an 18 y/o student and have not been feeling quite right these past few weeks..it started with a headache, aching limbs and general fatigue (which the dr. put down to my anxiety and increased my meds for that, after a negative blood test for anaemia and coeliac disease), but I've had a persistent sore throat and swollen glands in my neck for about 2 weeks now and they're not going away... I keep waking up in the night drenched in sweat and just feel hot and shaky most of the time. Today I've lost my appetite as well (which is unusual for me because I'm always hungry) and my motivation to write essays is at an all time low. Should I ask the Dr about it when I see him for a medication review on Friday? I'm always anxious that I come across as a bit of a hypochondriac because one of my OCD obsessions manifests itself in health anxiety.

'm really worried if it is glandular fever because I have 2 close friends at uni who both had really bad bouts of it and one developed CFS sad any advice would be gratefully received!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Berry,

I can understand your worries and why you think it might be glandular fever. But don't jump the gun it might not be too, and even if it is it will get better. I've had it myself and it is a nasty virus but it does pass over after time. Especially at your age the younger you are the shorter the illness will last. It could be as little as 4-6 weeks for some, for some it can last a bit longer.

It's easy to check if you have glandular fever. The doc can do a blood test for the EBV virus, and that will tell if it's glandular fever or not. I would recommend seeing the doc as soon as you can and getting the blood test to put your mind at rest. And even if it is glandular fever, although it's not nice you will definitely make a full recovery. Chronic fatigue or ME (same thing) usually only happens when people are older or have other illnesses so you will be just fine!

Try not to worry I know it's hard and hang in there! Things will get better! Take it from me who was through glandular fever when I was much older than you. Also if it is GF a good tip is to take a good multi vitamin tablet each day and a B complex vitamin tablet each day. Will help you feel much better.

Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Craig

• Posted

I agree with Craig, you should get checked but if it is Mono (what we call it in the U.S.) you will eventually get well. I am also much older & had it over the summer. It was nasty and no fun at all. I gradually recovered and was able to go back to work. Make sure you are taking vitamins & get as much rest as you can. A tea with apple cider vinegar & honey is good for your immune system. Also a supplement called Monolauren. It is what is found in coconut oil and will help you to recover faster. Hang in there & let us know how you aresmile

• Posted

Thank you both for your advice! I went to the dr. this morning and she said it could either be tonsillitis or something viral - she's given me a 10 day course of antibiotics and if there's no change then I guess it's a virus. I'm also booked in for a blood test tomorrow because she wants to check for glandular fever. Also got the medication review on Friday so I can check in with my regular doctor then.

I'm going to take 2 full days off and see how I feel...I've got 2 2000 word essays due in 10 days time so I really hope I can get rid of this thing asap!

Forgetmenot99 - do you reckon that using coconut oil in food would have the same effect? I've got a jar at the back of the cupboard that I haven't used yet...

• Posted

Stay positive if you can! Let us know how you are doing and how the blood tests go and can look at some further information or advice if you're still not feeling great after the rest and some antibiotics. Good luck with it all, stay calm and hope you feel well enough for your essays, but remember your health comes first!

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Yes, you can eat the coconut oil right out of the jar. 2 to 4 tablespoons a day is a good start. I don't mind it, but if it gags you then I would take the monolauren capsules. Good luck!! You'll get through even though it is no fun at all. Let us know how you are doingbiggrin

• Posted

Hi all,

Got the results of the blood test this morning - my white blood cell counts are in the normal range and the GF test was negative but one of my liver enzymes is more than double what it should be, which the dr. said would point to some kind of virus - but I had white spots appearing and disappearing on my tonsils a few weeks ago..I thought this meant it was bacterial...so confused!

I stupidly forgot to ask if I should continue with the antibiotics or not but the first dr. said to take them for 10 days regardless (I think so anyway) - I don't want to contribute to the problem of antibiotic resistance rolleyes I guess my throat isn't as sore so they must be working on something...

• Posted

It's good news that you don't have glandular fever....that would have probably been longer and tougher to resolve that the other virus you have. Still a pain that you have a virus....these nasty virus' can take a number of weeks to clear completely so don't worry about it. Although antibiotics don't do anything for viruses, sometimes when you have a really sorry throat like that you can get a secondary bacterial infection and the antibiotic helps that....so if you feel it's helping I would keep taking them....maybe check with your doctor.

Don't worry about antibiotic resistance....that would only be an issue if you were taking antibiotics all the time, but a one off course like that won't have any kind of effect like that

Hope you feel better soon!

Craig

• Posted

So good to hear you don't have mono! Not to worry you, but my first test came back negative then my second test came back positive. Either way a virus is a virus and they take time to get through. I would keep up with the vitamins and rest and you'll be on the road to recovery. Keep us posted on your progress smile Rooting for you!

• Posted

I've heard about that happening before! I'm having another blood test in the new year - do you reckon the dr. scheduled it then to see if there's any signs of EBV after a few weeks? It might be quite likely as I see my 2 friends who had GF every day and I remember accidentally sharing a sandwich and a drink with one of them a few weeks ago..I've never had a sore throat and swollen glands last so long - they're not really bad, but they just get worse in the evening on one side of my throat. If this hasn't gone by this Friday when my antibiotic course finishes, I might consider seeing the family doctor as I'll be back from uni then. Thanks for all the support! I sometimes feel that people think I'm lying when I say I'm so tired all the time - if only they knew! rolleyes
  • Posted

Hey Berry,

Try not to worry...it's a good things that your blood test showed up negative for GF, it's quite possible that it's another lesser virus, as any virus really can leave you with swollen glands. However it's a good idea to get another blood test in the New Year just to check, especially if you have some friends who had GF.

Be kind to yourself while you're not feeling well, get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water, get some fresh air as well for short walks, etc, if you're able to. Things will get better, feeling so tired and wiped out is a horrible feeling I know, but it will pass (even if it is GF).

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for all your support guys...it has not been an easy week, to be honest...slept all day on Wednesday and Thursday and barely moved from bed as my muscles were aching so much. I missed loads of lectures sad luckily got some extensions for my essays and dr. took another blood test for which I should have the results by Wednesday. He said everything is pointing to it being something like GF without it showing up on the tests which my friends said happened to them. Hopefully this time it will all become a bit clearer. 
    • Posted

Thinking about you! Hope that you feel better soon. Whatever it is it will pass but sometimes you just need to lie down to viruses. It can take 4-6 weeks to get over a nasty one so hopefully you will be starting to feel better soon. Make sure you get plenty of rest though and try to destress as that is also a contributory factor.

Take care and be kind to yourself! You will get there let me reassure you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.