Could this be Hypothyroidism?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Okay so, I'll start by saying a bit about myself. I'm a soon to be 19 year old female and about a month or 2 months ago I went to the ER because it felt like I was dying (I probably wasn't but anyways). Now I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder but that's being controlled with meds. While I was in the hospital, they did a blood test and said it came back abnormal so they ran it again and the doctor there said I was borderline hypothyroid. I went to my family doctor and got blood work and he said my levels were slightly elevated but nothing to be concerned about and ordered another blood test. I'm going this week to get it done.

So the symptoms I'm experiencing come and go like within a few days. I feel like my brain is failing? Like its weak and not functioning correctly. I have been gaining weight and can't seem to lose it. I have extremely sensitive hearing and my vision is becoming more blurred. I'm always tired and am almost always taking a nap throughout the day. It feels like my body is just being pulled to the ground and any action I do causes my heart to race. Now it doesn't help that once I feel weird, my anxiety kicks in but what I'm asking is: Can being borderline hypothyroid cause these symptoms? It's a pretty scary feeling sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Katie, in a word, yes it's certainly consistent with hypothyroidism.  Get hold of your blood test results then go online to Wikipedia and learn about the tests and what they are designed to find. Then when you see your doctor you will be well equippe to ask what he means by "elevated levels".  If you are not convinced, ask to see an endocrinologist. 

Some doctors have the blinders on and if the blood levels are normal or near normal then they may discount the symptoms the patient is experiencing and send you on your way.  So it pays to be informed and quite persistent.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Katie:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease since 1987.

Symptoms of thyroid disease are: Feeling tired despite rest, feeling cold, low energy, having headaches and muscle aches, constipation, weight gain despite diet, dry skin and brittle nails , brusing, brain foggy, no periods or infrequent ones or very heavy ones, & dizziness.  These are common ones and there is more.

I was in my 20's when diagnosed and I felt bad in my teens but it was not diagnosed then.  Thyroid disease can start at puberty and go past the menopause years. 

The doctor can test your TSH normal should be  0.45 to 4.50 and if the TSH goes on the low end it can go into Hyperthyroid  -too much and on the high end of the scale it is Hypo or too little.  It is opposite of each other.

Any abnormal blood work needs to be followed up by an Endocrinologist who knows the thyroid and endocrine system in the body well.

So please have your GP send you on to an Endocrinologist.  They can order an Ultrasound of the thyroid and do more blood work such as T4, T3, TSH, TPOA antibodies and TGab antibodies levels.  Thyroid disease runs in families and can cause a form of it called Hashimoto's, so if anyone in your family has thyroid problems please tell the doctor.

This disease is treatable with thyroid replacement hormone and you can live a normal life as long as you take your medication when diagnosed by your doctor.

Keep us posted on how you do.  Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Katie! I've had hypothyroidism since 2008 when I was 16yrs old. I haven't really noticed it until there was a lump on my neck since I've never thought the usual things I've been feeling (tiredness, being pale, minor palpitation) may or may not be the symptoms of my goiter.

My suggestion for you is to check with an ENDOCRINOLOGIST if you really have thyroid issues. The first doctor I went to to check my neck was an EENT and he gave me prescription that was not suitable for my body and I just felt like dying just going up the 2nd floor from the ground floor. 

The safest you can do is to check with an Endocrinologist. They know better what to do with your thyroid.

Don't feel sad, more or less of the people of this group had been on your shoes.

smile

• Posted

Katie, hope you are doing well. You panicked, not your fault. It's your body that's not getting nutrition that you require. I am sure, you have a B12 defeciency. Vitamin B12 is a minor parameter that we often ignore. I was facing the same situation. Doctors, and others said it's stress, order anxiety, Thyroid. Nope. It's all because of Vitamin B12. It's a blood test that will show you that you are deficient. Also make sure to get your Folate level checked. Vitamin D3 is another culprit. Get it tested. You will be okay. Take care! Come back on this forum and share your experience. It would help others. Keep up your spirits! Good day to you!

• Posted

you sound exactly how I feel. I could of wrote it myself. I also ended up in A&E and was put down to anxiety. also high pulse which I've put on beta blockers for my tsh is 3.82 which everywhere I look online they say is hypo but doctor said he will check again in November. what was your tsh if you don't mind me asking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.