Could this be ibs? or worse?? Symptoms for months (worried)

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past 4 months i have been having these symptoms:

1-Excesive ammounts of flatulence (HUGE ammounts)(foul smelling like rotten eggs), inmediatly after i wake up and even during sleeping time, this lasts up until 2 hours after i wake up (usually), then i have my lunch,then the flatulence goes away for the most part (sometimes i do have it here and there, but not as bad), then during the day i eat at like 5pm (tea and cookies),still nothing happens, then it comes back at night at around 8pm before i have my dinner., and i keep having flatulence non stop, and its not even a small ammount, its a LOT, one after the other, which is getting me worried.

2-A SINGLE diarrhea poop like once a week(big one) when im done pooping it, then its gone for the rest of the day, other days my stools are usually either soft, normal, or im slightly constipated

3-Big ammount of mucus in stools

The weird part is i dont have much pain, sometimes i feel like my intestine is inflamed or i feel a slight pain but nothing big, my biggest symptom is gas and soft stools with lots of mucus, sometimes the one time big diarrhea...

could this be stress? ibs? or something more? ..

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

i'd say this is classic IBS, i'd also say ouch go see your doctor! don't take no for an answer, rule other things out of the equation, then you'll hopefully get your answer! good luck.

• Posted

Hello,

I don't know how helpful this is but it was a study done on gas symptoms in relation to IBS sufferers and those who don't have IBS.This is a 2019 report from Report from Fernando Azpiroz, MD, PhD: Understanding Intestinal Gas :

Difficult gas evacuation – While some patients have excess gas, others find gas difficult to get rid of. The process of gas evacuation requires effective muscle-nerve coordination, which not everybody has. Lack of coordination may also produce constipation with retention of stool. In some patients these problems can be resolved by biofeedback treatment. When normal coordination is restored there is also less retention of stool, which in turn leads to reduced fermentation time and reduced gas production.

Learn more about biofeedback

Abdominal gas symptoms in IBS and related syndromes

Patients with functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders such as IBS frequently attribute their abdominal symptoms to gas. Bloating, for instance, where the abdomen feels distended and full, is one the most common and bothersome complaints in many patients with functional GI disorders. These patients usually feel gas as the cause of their symptoms, but there is little experimental evidence to support this feeling.

Do IBS patients produce more gas than others – A series of experiments conducted to address this issue showed that gas production was normal in IBS patients. While some test methods have produced inconsistent results it appears that gas production in IBS patients is not much greater than in healthy subjects and does not explain the abdominal symptoms.

Do IBS patients have a larger volume of gas in the intestines – Since gas production is normal, the next question is whether patients with gas-related symptoms actually have excess gas in their intestines. One study that used abdominal x-rays to estimate the amount of gas in the intestines found gas volume was relatively larger in IBS patients than in the control group. However, the extra volume in patients was not great enough to explain their symptoms.

Furthermore, other studies using more sophisticated techniques failed to detect differences between IBS patients and healthy controls. Hence, IBS patients neither produce excessive gas nor retain excess amounts of gas in their intestines.

Do patients have abnormal gas transit– No major abnormalities in the transit of solids and liquids through the gut have been detected in patients with functional GI disorders using conventional techniques. In contrast, the situation concerning the transit of gas is not as clear. The gas challenge test, in which gas is infused into the intestines of patients, has shown that patients complaining of gas symptoms have abnormal gas transit.

They develop intestinal gas retention, abdominal distension, and/or abdominal symptoms in response to amounts of gas that are well tolerated by healthy subjects. Interestingly, symptoms induced by intestinal gas infusion in patients by-and-large replicate their usual complaints. Impaired gas clearance in these patients is related to abnormal gut reflexes that contribute to gas retention delayed gas transit.

• Posted

Could be IBS which is strongly linked to stress. Have you had stress recently or anything you wouldn't normally eat? Have you tried a food diary to see if a particular food(s) trigger it?Try avoiding fizzy drinks or gassy foods such as broccoli, cabbage and Brussels Sprouts? Have you seen your doctor to rule out other causes since you have had symptoms for four months?

• Posted

I only drink water, and i t doesnt matter what i eat i will get gas eitherway it seems.

The weird part is i only get it either when i wake up (for 2 hours,before having any food) and then past 8pm,, before dinner, though i do eat stuff before dinner at 5pm..

i do not eat broccoli or anything like it. and didnt have a change of diet in a long time..

my biggest problem is HUGE ammount of gas to a point where its unbelieavable the ammount that i produce..and its one after the other, but nothing during the middle of the day which is odd.

could this all be just stress and anxiety as i do suffer from depression and anxiety issues?

or theres no way that anxiety alone can produce such huge ammount of gas and intermitent diarrhea?

• Edited

Many people with IBS say the mornings are rough. Have you been tested for celiac or dairy intolerances? It could be a single ingredient causing a disturbance in your system. Do you take a fiber supplement or probiotics? I have found since taking a fiber supplement it has helped me with the gas - helped diminish it a bit but not entirely. Fiber supplements can be tricky, though. If you are eating the same things, switch up something and see if it helps any. I am on a quest to figure this gas thing out too since I have never had this as an IBS symptom until recently. Dr's have been no help.

• Posted

It isn't unusual to get different IBS symptoms from what you normally get.Since the fibre supplements help with the gas, I would leave it at that and don't worry about it too much. When I stopped thinking about my IBS symptoms, they got better.

• Posted

Pippa,

ugh - i've been getting such enormous amount of trapped painful gas - mostly on the left side near ribs but also through the torso and around to back. I've had every test known to mankind and they say it's probably gas or just plain old IBS. I've never had this before. The fiber supplement seems to help a bit, though.

• Edited

Since you've had this tested thoroughly and gas/IBS has been the only conclusion, I would definitely leave it at that. My gas comes firing out of me!

• Edited

It could be a food intolerance or allergy. Try giving up sugar for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. Also try natural kefir yoghurt drink every day.

• Posted

i am really sorry to disagree with moon because cutting out groups of food could make you very ill you may end up deficient in something. please do this with support it might help you more safely.

• Posted

sugar isn't a food group and most people could do with cutting it out. there are natural sugars you can still get from vegetables and carbohydrate foods.

• Posted

I agree. Your body needs some sugar in your diet and it isn't good to cut it out completely unless you know it is causing you problems. You can actually become deficient in sugar. I knew an old lady who went .to her doctor complaining of feeling sluggish. Her doctor diagnosed she had a sugar deficiency and told her to put more sugar in her diet. Doing this corrected the problem. A simple food diary can tell you if sugar is upsetting your gut. A little sugar is good for you in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

I had a dentist who made a huge fuss about me taking a mere one sugar in my tea and two alcoholic drinks in the evening. I had to make a complaint about her over the top attitude.

• Posted

I said cut it out for 2 weeks because jhon26171 mentioned eating cookies. Some people can be intolerant of sugar and it can make them very windy. I was referring to refined sugar, maybe I did not make that clear. It was just to see if that was what was creating his wind. I doubt very much if someone would get deficient after a couple of weeks, however if they have too much sugar usually, they may feel withdrawal symptoms. Complex carbohydrates is a very good way of getting the correct amount of sugar, there is sugar in plenty of healthy foods. You can have from 6-22 grams of sugar a day and you can easily get that from a medium sized carrot and a slice of bread, but the amount of hidden sugars in food, mean most people can survive without refined sugars at all. As long as you have a diet with complex carbohydrates and vegetables you should be fine. Refined sugar is well known for causing a lot of wind and giving it up for 2 weeks I would say wouldn't cause any serious health problems if you have a healthy diet, in fact in most cases it would improve your health.

• Posted

hi pippa, you're right may be I didn't make myself clear. After the misinformation I have been given over the years about cutting out great swathes of food stuffs from my diet I simply meant don't start doing this because you could become deficient in all sorts of things and that won't do anybody any good!

• Posted

Very true. It's always best to see a doctor or dietician for advice before trying elimination diets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.