Could this be Lupus?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a very long time of not exactly knowing what's been going on with me, a few people told me I might have Lupus. I went to the doctor and they said it's possible but I have to wait for test results and even then it's hard to tell. I wanted to ask people who suffer with Lupus if they experience anything of what I'm experiencing and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Background I'm 19 (Almost 20) and my mom has been told to be tested for Lupus in the past. She is currently getting tested as well.

So back in May I started having a lot of swelling and chest pain. The doctors just said it was anxiety but at the time (and currently) I had and have been having trouble breathing. I stayed in bed for 2 months because no one would tell me what was going on. My heart rate wouldn't go under 98 BPM, probably because I was so worried about all the pain and I still am worried about the pain. Point is these symptoms have been going on for well over 9 months now. 

- Swelling in Knees, Fingers, Elbows and Feet

- On and off UTI's

- Pain in chest

- Pain in kidney area

- Swelling in the shower (well water)

- Random rashes that don't hurt or itch

- Hard time moving in the morning some days 

- Hard time breathing most of the time

- Can't eat too much salt or sugar/fast food without swelling and pain

I'm sorry that is a lot but I am so stressed out and trying to get to the bottom of this since seemingly no one is able to help me out. 

I do have a plethora of mental illness' but I've never experienced pain like this in my years of having those illness.. I'm depressed and about ready to end it all, I just want help. I'm scared.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Please don't do anything silly. Wait for the results and explain exactly how you have been feeling. Lupus can affect the brain and consequently your moods and behaviour. It's even possible that you have something entirely different, maybe related to your diet. Are you very thin despite eating good sized portions? Do you have frequent very loose/runny poop? You may have something like coeliac disease, this can give rise to aches and pains in the joints in addition to the abdomen, and sometimes rashes. Lupus is a great imitator of other conditions with similar symptoms.

Yes, Lupus is difficult to diagnose, and some folk wait for a very long time. I don't have a specific diagnosis but I have been started on medication, which over the last couple of years has made life very much more bearable. I have other health issues which are far more painful and difficult to control and cope with (I have Trigeminal neuralgia, hideous pain and electric shock-like sensations in my face, sometimes for many hours!). Most people on this forum understand how you feel.

The tests take about 4 weeks because of how they are processed, so be patient. You can send me a private message if you want to talk.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Susan is absolutely correct, take her advice please . 

Laughter is healthy for the body and mind, get yourself some comedy disks,make some popcorn and sit back and relax. Go on a comedy marathon while you"re waiting. Please keep us updated. We'll be waiting to hear how you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.