Could this be my thyroid? Please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi my first time so sorry if its a long post, im 28 i have 3 children so im quite active during the day with school runs etc over the past 2 years i haved so many symptons im unsure its my thyroid so i had a gotier in my neck doctor refferd me for a biospy i have beign nodlues my blood tests where fine my symptons are dry skin,dry scalp,thin hair, joints aching wrist knees, legs ,arms, shoulders, back sore throat and dry mouth, i cant hold a hair dryer for to long as it makes my arm feel heavy! i cant grip my wrist when i open a jar off food, i get constant tingling in my legs down to my feet it can last ages and then go away, i struggle to get up in the mornings and ache all over if i walk foe so long my legs kill me, i also sometimes get blurry vision in my right eye it comes and go, headaches and feeling cold my hands are always frozen and feel like i get shivers all over my body,i sometimes have a ringing in my ear witch also comes and goes i have been to my doctors she said it couldnt be thryoid related and sounded like anxitey! i also was ancemic so had to take folic acid! sometimes i get heart palpations they come and go i also feel like i forget so much its almost like a fog over my head then ill remember,also i have ibs so have issues with my stomach and eating i have lost weight,lease can anyone relate to this and tell me im not crazy i feel like my doctor think its just all in my head but i have to live with it everyday its really getting me down any answers would be fab thankyou xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

omg its like you were writing about me. exact same symptoms. Drs saying my thyroid is fine and the racing heart, shakes, fatigue etc has nothing to do with thyroid as bloods are fine. Was told by 3 different consultants it was completely normal to have a goitre that has started choking me. Currently on consultant no 4 who still says my thyroid is fine but the goitre is causing problems. Have appointment next monday to see if they are going to remove it, im hoping they will as they will have to give me thyroid treatment once its gone and hoping that might settle some of my issues . You are not imagining it. i feel like a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes going to dr for something new every other week but as you said you have to live with it not them. You know your own body more than anyone dont let the drs fob you off. keep at them till your sorted.

• Posted

I have had all of those symptoms at one point or another and many of them at the same time . They are thyroid symptoms. the last two years have been very rough for me I went from overmedicated for many months last year to undermedicated now and experiencing these symptoms. you may need to find a doctor who doesn't rely totally on blood test they are out there you just have to look. the ranges for blood work are way too wide and many of us suffer because we are "in range " but not optimal. I am working with a functional MD also called homeopathy. they handle things a little differently. good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Shariece_1...

You don't mention your age.

I was wondering looking at your symptoms if you have B12 deficiency as some of your symptoms may relate to that especially numbness, pins and needles/tingling, lethargy/fatigue, brain fog, memory loss. The reason i ask your age is normal B12 levels for under 55 years is 200-300 levels over 55 years is 500-900 levels. If you were tested for anemia i would think your B12 was tested along with folic acid and your folic acid and B12 were low but doc trying folic first to see if you improve, if not doc will go along B12 path. If i were you i would ask for a print out of your blood tests, which you are entitled to, and check if your B12 was tested. Take the folic for 2-4 weeks if no improvement with your symptoms ask doc about B12 if it is not on blood test print out. I would think folic and B12 were tested as they go together and doc trying you on folic first...i had B12 deficiency and my symptoms were like yours.....best wishes...

• Posted

hi i did mention my age im 28 i was only taking folic acid for a few months and no change so i dont take them anymore ive had blood tests done a few times and my dr said there fine

• Posted

This is my wife's account I hope you do not mind me replying to your post.

I am 72 years of age I had multi nodules on my thyroid for about 10 years last year I had a xray on my throat I had to eat and drink when the xray was done. when I saw the xray it showed that my esophagus was more than half closed on seeing that I could not take in what else was restricted it was decided that my thyroid should be removed. I was told over the time 10 years that the nodules were benign but on analysis it was found that one nodule had a small cancer but I was told it had been completely removed. I have written this so as to inform you that the type of xray I had would show up if the nodules are restricting anything in your throat, I hope this is some help I did not have any of the symptoms you have.

Alan Thomas

• Posted

Hi Shariese_1...

I am sorry i didn't see your age i didn't read properly. At your age B12 should be between 200-300 level. When i had B12 deficiency it was 162 and lab said was a little low but doc overlooked it. This is why i say check your results ask for copy of your results. I always do with all my blood tests and chevk them online. My symptoms went on for a long time and i got very ill, any longer and I would have developed pernicious anemia which is very dangerous. As a process of elimination ask for a copy of your blood results, your B12 may be lower than it should be......

• Posted

Hi, your symptoms are almost identical to mine except I don't have a goiter but I have multiple thyroid nodules that range from 2mm to 3mm. I sometimes feel like somethings stuck in my throat and when I turn my head I feel like they move in and out if place, if that makes sense and sometimes its hard to swallow. I also have extreme fatigue and stomach issues along with constipation. I had to quit my job two years ago due to this. Ive had all types of test done, ct scans, colonoscopy etc and nothing was found. Ive had low vitamin D but that was a year ago and its now in the normal range. My other labs are all normal. Please let me know what you've found as I'm at a loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.