Could this be nerve pain?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My left side of the face hurts- sometimes the right side. I have had mri’s and sinus ct scans. My left maxillary sinus has a little inflammation and a possible small sinus cyst.  I have been back and forth to the sinus dr and dentist. My pain is in the upper cheeks (mostly left) and lower left jaw. It is not sharp shooting pain it is constant throbbing/aching varying in intensity but always there. It started last year. It came on and would go away and now it’s constant. Have had 2 teeth removed. Infact the last tooth removed made my pain worse! I am convinced of something more sinister going on. But the dental ct scan doesn’t show anything and the recent mri just shows what I already know in my sinus and some mild edema where one of my teeth was removed. When I look up edema it says painful swelling and I have a slight very slight swell above where the tooth was extracted. Tooth 12 is near the nose so now I get nasal pain over the bridge of my nose and along the left side of it. It comes and goes through out day. The area above where the tooth is extracted is sore. 

As for the lower jaw I have sensitivity under the bottom of the jaw along the back. It’s hard to explain. It feels sore and flares up at times. No teeth pain ever- never had teeth pain. Spending so much money on dr appts- I am so scared and am convinced I have a something more serious going on.

The recent dental extraction makes things worse.

My left maxillary sinus doesn’t feel right. I feel it in my bone it feels sore. My pain is hard to explain. The sinus dr says I don’t have a sinus infection. The area below the eye hurts too- not the eye but the bone below it. Well whatever I feel doomed. Been in different forums for sinus and for possible bone infection because I do not know what the heck is going on! 

I do know my pains vary in degree. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add that when I talk sometimes the left upper jaw hurts. It can feel stiff. I have tmj but not sure how bad. I have been tested for tmj recently and I have it but the dr didn’t think I have typical tmj pain. I just want to rip my left upper cheek out. I hate this so bad. I hate the constant dr appts and dismissal of symptoms. Will keep on going dr to dr!
  • Posted

Nerve pain feels like stabbing throbbing pain with tingling an pressure, burning even sometimes an teeth pain is the worst 
    • Posted

I understand there is the typical TN nerve pain of shooting pain but from other experts I have seen you can have other nerve pain that is throbbing and comes and goes. Other forums I have read there are people that have similar pains and people that don’t have the typical symptoms.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.