could this be scabies

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having an itchy rash that will clear up then show up somewhere else.  I was worried it was scabies that I might have gotten in the locker room at the gym.  Other than that I don’t know where I would have gotten it if that is what it is.  I have been to three doctors.  First was at urgent care that didn’t hardly look at it.  Second was my personal physician that looked but did not think it was scabies.  She put me on prednisone for 10 days.  It cleared up and I felt great.  It came back about a week after the last treatment.  She then referred me to a dermatologist.  He looked at my whole body and said it was eczema.   I am middle-aged and never had it before so I found that hard to believe.  He said it did not look like scabies.  He gave me augmented betamethasone.  It helps clear up the spots but I keep getting new ones.  I get them below one breast, some on waistline, on shoulder blade.  I had a small itchy spot on foot but it never developed much once I put the cream on.  Latest is on buttock/leg area (underwear line).   What makes me wonder if I am going crazy is my husband has not had any itching (it’s been six weeks for mine).  Also, I do not have anything on hands, wrists, webbing of toes which I know are common scabies area.  I also have itching on my hair line and in my scalp which I know would not be common.   The itching bothers me all day long, but at night I sleep well.  I have been taking a sleeping pill for insomnia for years, but it doesn’t make me sleep that soundly if something is bothering me.  My skin seems extremely sensitive lately also.  I just don’t know if I should relax about this or pursue it more.  Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sammie

My name is Jinny.

I am not a doctor nor am I in a position to advise you!

However, if you want to hear about my experiences, you can find me on this site on the dermatology forum. I am happy to share some of my experiences with you but you may need to private message me.

Good luck

Jinny

• Posted

It does sound like eczema. No one really knows what triggers eczema although allergens, stress, genetic reasons and a load of other things are suspected. Once you have it you will need to control it. If you had prednisone it must be quite bad. I have heard that changing diet can help. I do know a friend of mine's son tried Chinese herbs and his eczema disappeared. I think I would be careful of taking Chinese herbs though! 
  • Posted

HI Sammie56. I doubt it's scabies. I am not a health professional so only qualified to give advice based on personal experience. 

**Eczema often appears out of the blue and disappears with equal mystery. I can be linked to so MANY conditions ..."emotional stress" acts as a trigger ...as do allergies & less than optimal health. Fatigue.

**Contact Dermatitis also fits the bill.

Because of the areas you say it's affecting ...knowing NONE of your health & domestic conditions ...I'd bet you're getting either a fungal infection or plain dermatitis. Underwear elastic line and in folds of skin. 

To be SURE of what you're dealing with a sample needs to be anylised by a lab.

Try keeping a diary for a month of dates & times there are flare ups and what is going on in your life as well as what you're wearing/type of fabric ...room/body temperature etc. 

Good luck. .

..an interesting (to me) bit of trivia is how many dermatologists become psychologists.

xoxo smile  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I dread waking up and seeing where the new spots and bumps will be.  Today I have some on my shoulder and on the folds of the buttock.  I don’t know much about eczema but does it go anywhere like that and itch so madly?  I told my husband today that I almost wish he would get a rash so I wouldn’t feel so crazy about wondering if this is scabies.  Is stress a common cause for eczema?  I shattered my leg in the spring of last year and I feel like I have had many other health issues since that time.
  • Posted

Hello

It could be urticaria (hives). Mine started like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.