Could this be sinusitis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

So I had an mri 3 weeks ago that showed no abnormalities except for a thickening & inflammation of my left maxillary sinus. I am on 2x betahistine 3x a day which seems to be keeping the really bad vertigo spells I was getting away. Along with these spells was also getting nausea, ear & sinus pressure, tinnitus, hot sweats.

Doctor said my right ear is full of wax so that could be the root of the problem there but it is mostly the left side that is affected. The ear gets very hot at times & hearing feels sensitive with a buzzing noise, just generally feels uncomfortable.

I do still get some sinus & ear pressure, & my ears click & pop like crazy sometimes. I also have the feeling of having to clear my throat all the time.

Could all of these symptoms be sinusitis? I do suffer with hay fever & allergies to something in the Autumn/winter but wasn't so bad this year when all these problems occured. I have suffered with sinus pain in the past.

Doctor has told me to use avamys nasal spray & using steam to clear & see how I go.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone.

Hope you had a good Xmas! How's everyone feeling? Richard how did you get on at the dentist?

X

• Posted

Hi Sarah and happy Xmas to everyone.

I have a dentist appointment next week (sorry I said last week it was this week but meant next lol). Today I think I have a bit of a cold on top. The one thing that's worried me is the constant pressure type feeling on the left side if my head. I couldn't sleep on that side last night because of the constant ache. Ear feels all tender to touch too behind and in front. Plus the back of my head is tender too. When I do press around my ear I feel aches in my gums. I always had a worry on TN but my doctor doesn't think so. I will see at the dentist next week.

How are you ? X

• Posted

That pressure feeling Isn't nice especially if you're feeling a cold coming on. It's so hard to pinpoint the root of the problem, like you said you press round your ear & feel it in your gums, it suggests teeth but then the heads tender.

Good luck next week!! Hopefully they'll pick something up.

Not been too great here last week, my stomach been acting up which has thrown my head off a bit. Doctor has given me meds to reduce acid in my stomach as having cramps, bloating, palpitations, heartburn, shortness of breath & croaky throat. Sounds like GERD. Beginning to wonder if that's the cause of my problem as nearly always felt nauseous before getting vertigo, getting alot of heartburn & eating pretty badly around the time all this started. Alot of GERD sufferers have said they get all the same symptoms I've had with vertigo etc. Time will tell.

Happy New year, hope 2016 brings us answers & better health

X

• Posted

Hi all hip lee everyone's had a good Christmas.

Sarah that's so scary I get that too, silent reflux... I get the gurgle but no acid burn... Prescribed me lansoprozol.. But no help... This week I'm thinking more tmj problem going on... My jaw on the right made an almighty loud crunch/click yesterday and today I've had a headache and balance issues and muscle spasms around the temple area and ears humming.... I looked up tmj and apparently it can cause ear problems.

Here's hoping for a happy new year. X

• Posted

Hi Emma

Doc prescribed me omeprazole, first day taking them today so will see. Trying to watch my diet too, which is not that easy this time of year but needs must!!

Ouch!!!! Another sign of tmj is jaw pain too if you have that too. Tmj sounds likely at the moment though doesn't it. I've had that happen with my neck, loud crack then headaches & ears act up so know what you mean.

X

• Posted

It's weird coz I don't have any pain from the jaw, I can open it fine too.. It just kinda pops out more than the other side.

I really hope we get treatment soon coz this is really affecting my life... I'm not me anymore, I used to be so out going etc now I'm scared to go far incase I go dizzy, can't stand busy supermarkets when I'm having bad days. All I want to do is sit still or sleep.

• Posted

Same here. Personally I'm alot better than I was, managed to get back to work, but if I'm shopping the lights seem to affect my eyes and if it's noisy I feel disoriented. Sometimes don't feel confident driving as seems to put a strain on my eyes especially at night.

Sometimes I think it's partly psychological these feelings when outside, fearing an attack. Horrible feeling.

There should definitely be more research & understanding of these disorders, no one seems to be of any help!

• Posted

Hi don't worry you are not alone in the driving department. I couldn't drive for 3 months, well at least anywhere far which caused massive inconvenience. Because I'm feeling all congested I get a bit anxious at traffic lights and in jams. This is an anxiety issue, but indeed Brought on by the sinus problem.

Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.