Could this be Strep? Could be a carrier?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I am a 36 year old male. History of IBS, and Anxiety.

I had what I believed to be a cold.

These are my symptoms:

Thursday - sneezing. Congestion. Light sore throat/no fever

Friday - nasal congestion/runny nose/sore throat/no fever/mild bodyaches

Saturday - chest congestion/cough/no fever/very mild nasal congestion

Went to get treated for cough related illness because I figured I had a bad viral infection.

Was tested for Strep A via rapid test because I previously had a sore throat.

Rapid Test for Strep A came back positive and was told that I have Strep A. I used to carry Strep G.

Dr. ordered a culture. Dr. Told me I need antiobiotics although very reluctant to take them because of IBS- D and dont want to take anything that could make it worse.

Again, todays main symptom is cough and chest congestion with mild nasal congestion. The cough is productive.

I dont even have a fever or a sore throat but I have Strep A? The doctor wasnt emphatic about my reluctance and concern for antibiotics, but I did take a loading dose of 500mg of Zithromax a few hours ago and my stomach hurts already.

Could I just have a cold and be a strep carrier? I used to carry Strep G. Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.