Could this really all be down to Aniexty

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

So initially months ago i felt a lump in my throat got send for Endoscopy and test were fine and now it is gone.

Then my stomach swells and i can't do the toilet went for a colonoscopy and all is fine although stomach still feels swollen. Also recently when driving i have felt like i could not breath and going to faint. When i get out car get some air it goes away.

I recently went to hospital as i thought i was taking heart attack and also had 3 anti biotic due to chest infection, i felt like i was not getting a deep breath but doctor said my peek flow and oxygen was brilliant. Suddenly again that stopped.

Could this all be down to anxiety and is there anyway of overcoming this...

I have another colonoscopy next week and liver scan to check this stuff as well even though LFT and KFT plus ultrasound was ok.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could just be health anxiety im afraid to say. It does a fantastic job at mimicking illnesses and then your brain and your imagination take it from there and make it seem 100 times worse. Sounds like until you get your symptoms checked and confirmed by a professional they don't go away, but then a new symptom arises.

I mean I'm not a doctor so please don't take my word for it but i know from experience that what you have sounds like health anxiety, especially with all your tests coming back normal. Possibly confined spaces could be setting off your anxiousness aswel making you feel like you cant breath, maybe something to look in to.

Anyways hope this helps

Danielle

• Posted

P.S if you go see your doctor he can prescribe/recommend something to help you....I say this because each individual is different and one medication may work for one person but not for you.
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes anxiety can fool you into imagining all sorts,I actually had the same sensation in my throat,had the endoscopy and they diagnosed Barretts Esophagus and hiatus hernia,but have got the better of it at the mo.

What I will say is that the anxiety hasn't helped at all,if i get upset my stomach and digestion goes bonkers,so I try to stay calm (tough for me).

However as I say I take one day at a time and that helps,take time to smell the flowers as it were.

Just accept what's happening to you,that's the first step,then take it from there,slowly and gently.

I hope you soon feel better,take care!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Once your health checks are cleared,the physical symptoms would possibly be anxiety related. Anxiety affects the digestive system, cognition such as light-headedness, confusion, unable to think clearly. Anxiety can be a precursor to irritable bowel syndrome, for example, palpitations and all sorts of pains.

Exploring what triggers your anxiety can help you to get in touch with and be more aware of your hidden feelings and emotions, which causes your anxiety in the first place.

Deep, slow breathing can help lessen your anxiety. I wish you well.

• Posted

It is a bit chicken and egg sometimes with anxiety. You did have a chest infection and that has now cleared up with good peak flow rates. This is good because it is fixed and good because it was not caused by anxiety. It is natural to be concerned about your health, and I would have these tests done myself too. My next thought is regarding stomach (gut?) swelling. If it is what I'm thinking, it's swelling and tenderness across the belly just below the belly button, the large intestine. If they find nothing on colonoscopy, then have a think about milk and or wheat allergy. I cut out dairy and it helped. It was separate from my anxiety issues but certainly being anxious is well known to cause stomach issues.. Then you also mention issues with breathing. That really is likely to be anxiety based.

The good news is that there are effective meds for anxiety and also good psychology based treatments. In my case I reckon I got 1/3 from meds, 1/3 from psych and 1/3 from intensive exercise. But if I did not have the meds I would not have been well enough to go to step 2. I haven't had an anxiety attack for 6 weeks now and I'm a happy person. Cheers, David.

• Posted

Hi and thanks to everyone for the replies last time i attended the doctors i brought in a book with a list of questions and problems i have been feeling but they look annoyed and bored with me now and that it is nothing. I have came to the conclusion it is anxiety they have never once said it.

If i suggest it is they will just look at me like i am stupid. It just feels so real with all the symptoms that if all the tests show nothing then it must be in my head. The only reason i had the liver and kidney test is i used to be a heavy drinker and maybe that is why i have anxiety. At first i got all the symptoms of Liver failing and then iit moves one etc.

• Posted

When i feel my stomach it feels so swollen and all for the last month i have been going through so many inhalours due to my ashama but felt like i could not get a deep breathe then today it all stopped and i could breathe fine.

It is really scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.