Could UTI reduce urine flow?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had pae done on July 11 2019. i was wearing a catheter until august 9. when it was removed i peed ok and it was getteng better, but then i got UTI and my urine flow became much worse. so i wonder if UTI could cause something like this?

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, a UTI causes tissue swelling and irritation and blocks urine flow.

• Posted

Adding on to what Tom said, a UTI usually causes an increase in the number of trips to the bathroom, day and night. Have you experienced a significant increase in trips to the bathroom? It wouldn't be unusual for a serious UTI to get you up 6 to 8 times per night.

• Posted

thank you!

I did got to bathroom every hour during nightime. Hardly anything was getting out, but what was, was very, very cloudy and foamy. I ended up in hospital. They checked how much urine I was retaining, and it was 700 ml. My kidney function was also very low. i an now thinking that i might have prostatitis also because i had strong pain in the lower left of my abdomen before and during the urination. they did ct scan, and told me that i have severe nephrosis in my left kidney because urine was going back to the kidney. i was admitted and given iv antibiotics but the urine is still very cloudy with some blood. of course blood could be from the catheter.

A urologist who saw me in hospital told me that my PAE did not work, and i need another surgery, but I

hope that if i am able to beat the infection, i will be able to urinate much better after the catheter is removed. What do you think?

Thank you.

• Posted

Just a reminder that when you take antibiotics it's worth remembering that they can mess up your gut and other systems by killing off your good bacteria too. Protect yourself by taking probiotics (capsules or just live yoghurt ) to replace the good guys. Best to not take it within 2 hours either side of the antibiotic though or it won't do any good at all! Hope your UTI goes soon.

Catheters are well known for damaging the bladder lining which encourages UTIs to get a grip. Just saying ...

• Posted

I'm in a terrible state now - prescribed Amoxicillin for 6 weeks for a supposed bacterial infection - I had to stop after 1 week - my symptoms are much worse; severe inflammation; I can barely leave the house - I' m lying in front of a halogen heater partly clothed - a pretty picture no doubt

I knew the risks of antibiotics but I hoped that probiotics would mitigate it; they didn't

Just don't know what to do

• Posted

sorry to hear about this Jan.

do you know what caused your UTI?

Did they run the tests to determine what bacteria you have?

What symptoms do you have?

I think you should go to the emergency room.

They might prescribe different antibiotics that you might tolerate better.

Please let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Ian,

There is clearly something going on that needs immediate attention. You need to go to a hospital and get tests and treatment. Whatever treatment you are getting is obviously not working.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.