Could venaflaxine be causing my weight loss

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi since starting venlafaxine over 3 weeks ago I have lost well over a stone. I saw the GP last week and she concerned and I have had my bloods done. She has said the venlafaxine should have settled in my system now ( and I believe it ) has. She also prescribed som tablet to settle the stomach acids which have sort of eased the nausea, butI am still only eating one meal a day. And really having to force myself too.

She didn't want to worry me about what it might or might not be but here concern is enough to give me concern. The last time I couldn't eat I had Sepsis and a Kidney infection ( early October ).  The venlafaxine to be fair is stabilising my mood ( better than Mirtazapine ) so really hoping I havent got change tablet after 3 weeks.

I have a dull ache in abdomen, but as I am on strong pain killers for my back I can't judge how severe the pain is ( if that makes sense ) its just dull with my pain relief. Has anyone else had prolonged weight loss ( and fast weight loss ) on venlafaxine or is this justa coincidence.

Hoping bloods come back clear in one sense tomorrow, but in another that will mean there is no clear answer to why I am losing weight.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Blood tests should show if there is a problem. I've had weight loss with increased urination so I was tested for diabetes but that came back normal so now GP says it's venlafaxine and mirtazapine making me thirsty, so drinking more, etc. I'm not convinced so I'm interested to hear of someone else losing weight. I can see that finding it difficult to eat enough would cause you to lose weight too.
    • Posted

Losing the weight for now is a good thing even if I am losing it to quick

• Posted

Weight loss is not as drastic now, my bloods came back clear  :0( thou the are signs of bloody in urine and white cells. Not  sure what the hell is going on. I am now on antibiotics as a precaution of the Christmas period.
    • Posted

Weight loss is not so drastic now but still not right
  • Posted

Weight loss now is not as much but now up to 225mg as of yesterday. And I am having to go for endoscopy now to check stomach. And I have already had this once and it scared me half to death.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.