Could Xiphoid Process cause Upper Abdomen pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear Community,

I've been experiencing tightness around my "Xiphoid Process" region causing pain in my Upper Abdomen. I'm on the lighter weight side for my height. I recently had Hernia surgery and just had my Upper Endoscopy. The doctor says everything looks "normal". However, whenever I touch my "Xiphoid Process", it feels like a slight lump and it causes slight pain, and whenever I lie flat on my back, I can feel the Xiphoid Process tilting outward more. So why would it be painful?

I'm wondering if any of you have heard this type of symptom? I'm just wondering what kind of Scan will best reveal if there's abnormality with this particular bone? X-Ray, CT, MRI? I'm hoping the scan will reveal how surrounding muscles or organs are being impacted by the Xiphoid Process.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jean

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ah that's what it is called, I have just posted about throat pain and burning /stinging in the upside down V bit, which I now know the name off, I have had severe pain in this area for about 2 years and when GP presses the area it is agony, but they never seem to worry about it. I am a bit overweight and large busted so can't feel my bone just the burning pain. Does the pain you get radiate upwards to higher in chest, I suspect mine is caused by GERD but now I know the name I can look it up. Thanks

• Posted

Maybe the surgery and endoscopy irritated something. Ask for any of the scans you mentioned. Nerves can be damaged during surgery and become neuralgic. I developed chronic neuralgia after a blood test went wrong.

• Posted

I had endoscopy, and doc didn't find GERD or H.Hernia. Do you guys know if Xiphoid Process can be bent or tilted? My Inguinal surgery and Endoscopy shouldn't have impacted Xiphoid Process. Although my Inguinal made my stomach and intestine feel slightly separated - meaning it feels like stomach is bloated but my Gastroenterlogist didn't find anything wrong.

I suspect Nerve could be damaged. How did you find out about Never damaged? What's the possible remedy?

Any ideas regarding scan for the Xiphoid Process mentioned in the original post?

Thanks for all your help!

-Jean

• Posted

I have damaged nerves in both arms and hands due to a fall and a dodgy blood test. There is very little that can be done for this so I just put up with it and wait for the hot Italian sun to work its magic and get rid of the symptoms. Doctors tend only to offer low dose anti depressants which are full of side effects. That was the only solution my doctor suggested to me which was really no help so I refused them.

Scans such as X Rays, CT or MRI may help to detect problems with the Xiphoid Process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.