Couldn't due Systoscopy: Female

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having problems peeing for almost a year now. Hard time initiating stream, low flow, takes forever to pee, lower abdominal pain etc. I was diagnosed many times with UTI's but after full tests were done on the urine there was no infection. After 8 months was finally referred to a urologist. He tried to due a cystoscopy today (with the numbing gel) but could not get the scope in due to my urethra being too narrow. He is going to try again under general but has anyone else had this problem? what ended up being wrong and was it treatable? Just getting a little nervous now.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm male ..

I was getting far too many UTI's. Had to have cystoscope rescheduled  under general anesthesia as the attempt with just gel was too painful.  Under general anesthesia, things went ok.  1/2 hour or less was actual procedure.

.  Cystoscope showed bladder neck was not fully open  up enough to Prevent urine retention. (Prostate was pressing on bladder neck.). Took  1/2 hour or less under anesthesia to correct problems.  Suffered for about 2 years. I'm doing great now. 

I highly recommend the cystoscope procedure under general anesthesia. It was  much less stressful.   Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I had a similar problem 2 years ago , same symptoms , same problem with urethra being too narrow . Had a rigid cystoscopy and dilation under general , and that solved all my problems . Nothing to worry about its quite painless . I had a catheter for about 10 days after , but that was no problem . Don't be nervous it is well worth getting the problem sorted out . My quality of life is much better now , and added bonus I get more sleep , not having to get up and go to the toilet too many times every night .

• Posted

Thank you both. Urologists office called. My procedure will be Nov. 21. Very hopeful now that this will go well. smile
    • Posted

Come back after and let us know the results , and how relieved you are when its all over . 
  • Posted

I will. I hope so. smile 
  • Posted

Had the test yesterday. They did the anesthesia different as I get violently ill from the regular stuff they use. Test went great. Very little discomfort after although it still burns when I pee. See the Dr in 6 weeks for  followup but he thinks the dilatation fixed the problem. I hope so. Time will tell. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.