Counselling when newly diagnosed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barretts just three weeks ago. I am suffering with anxiety and finding it hard to cope with everyday life. Has anyone had counselling to help come to terms with the diagnosis.

I am 69 years old. Suffered severe gastritis in 2017. I have never had problems with heartburn. My gastroenterologist said all was fine after my scope but lab reports showed chronic and acute inflammation. I am on 40mg omeprazole. He mentions Barretts in conversation, when I checked the Internet, the panic started. This forum has been a great help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi anne, i was diagnosed with barretts a few years ago and was put on anti biotics but i couldnt stomach them so i just kerp to the lasnaprozole 30 mg@ day. im told its a common enough problem with minimal risk of developing something more serious. my consultant calls me back every two years or so for endescopy for surveilance and to monitor . so i wouldnt panic if you need reassurance have a chat with your doctor or consultant. best of luck.

• Posted

hi Joseph 98786

many thanks for your encouraging reply.

have you any problems with taking lasnaprozole, I noted that you mention in another post on the forum that you have a sensitive stomach?

i have ended up with inflamed colon and waiting on colonoscopy from omeprazole. I am even having problems taking zantac this weekend.

my gastroenterologist assures me that my barrett's is very slight and not to worry.

i actually know when the barrett's developed, only in the last 18 months due to severe gastratis. I was getting scopes regularly as I am coeliac.

• Posted

hi anne, i dont have problem with lasnaszoprozole except my elbow joints are very sore and someone mentioned that PPI meds can cause this

• Posted

thanks for replying Joseph,

as soon as I have the colonoscopy over and the problem with the colon sorted I will ask the gastroenterologist if I can try lasnaszoprozole. its just about finding a ppi thats right for me.

• Posted

Hi, I have barretts too but i have never been and been offered any counseling.

Barretts isnt a death sentence like i first thought.

It will need keeping a check on with endoscopies which your gp should arrange for you.

keep taking the medication prescribed and all the usual sensible eating

but more importantly try not to worry as stress isn't good.

Best of luck

• Posted

I was diagnosed in August of 2018. I was given an option of surgery or lifestyle change, I opted to try the change first. I followed the eating habits of small meals throughout the day. Never eating enough to feel really full. Giving up alcohol, if I want a beer I have non-alcoholic brand. I have been very careful,as to how much and how often I eat. Nothing after 6 in the evening. One great side effect, I have lost 35lbs. ( which also helps) you will find out very quickly what are foods you should not eat. I kept taking my medication, but have since gone from 2 pills a day to 1. Also stress is not good for you, I was very worried also, maybe I read to much on the internet. You may be wise to have another talk with your Dr. to clear up your concerns. You can get thru this. Take care

• Posted

it is scary at first because of the internet but fear not as its sooooo common . i was diagnosed 6 years ago with half cm but have not had it checked since

do not worry

• Posted

can any of you give me some advice?

I am unable to tolerate the medication that I am on. I have had bad side effects with Nexium and now with Pantium. excessive and painful intestinal wind and bad nausea.

The GP advises that I won't get the same safety coverage with Zantac but my options are limited.

surely this problem must be common enough?

if I am careful with the diet and implement the other lifestyle changes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.