Covered by medicare?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is the rezum procedure covered by Medicare? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had Rezum done a week ago (exactly actually!) The office is taking care of the paper work, and yes, Medicare does pay for much of the cost of the Rezum procedure. I also had a 'twilight' general anesthesia, so no pain at all. I also have a supplemental insurance policy so I won't have any out of pocket costs at all. Where are you planning to go for the procedure?

• Posted

Ken, thanks for your response - much appreciated. May I ask what state you are in - how the procedure went and how you are now doing? Also, did you need a catheter and if so for how long? Thanks, Ronk
    • Posted

Ronk,

I sent you a PM but I'll also answer more generally here for the benefit of others who may be interested. 

I'm in Illinois. My procedure went amazingly well. A 'light' general anesthesia, so I was in no pain during the procedure. And I've had no pain to speak of since. On the second day, I did have some very light pain when trying to start the flow, but that went away a few hours later. Otherwise nothing. The procedure itself took about 10 minutes. But I had to be told that because I was 'out' of course.

The doctor and I had discussed the catheter situation beforehand, and he agreed to avoid the insertion of a Foley catheter because I had been successfully self-cathing for several months. 

I used my usual Coloplast FR15 coude catheters since the surgery with no problem. There was a little tenderness in the urethra on the first day or two, but I expected that. And there has been no problems there since. And since I didn't have a Foley, I didn't have to return to the office for removal. 

Based on what I've read, I expect to continue self-cathing for a few more weeks. I'm one week out now and my post void residual (PVR) volume has dropped from 200cc to 100cc on average. And I'm already beginning to notice that I'm feeling a bit more flow in my natural voids.

Disclaimer: please note that my experience may not be typical. However, I do believe that, if you have been qualified as a good candidate for the Rezum procedure, you may have similar positive results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.