COVERSYL (Perindopril) is taking 15mg safe?

Posted , 4 users are following.

this time last year my dr perscribed Coversyl Perindopril 2mg -which I took to ok - besides a cough. I tried a few other types of BP medication but kept getting dizzy or falling over, so went back onto Coveryl. After every visit my dosage has been raised 2mg - 4mg- 5mg- 8mg- 10mg now 15mg!

I am not a well 40yo and I'm about to have valve and aorta replacement in the coming months. I used to suffer with Migrains so I like not having any more Headaches and the cough disappeared after about 6months.

However, my blood pressure is still high (140+) and my enlarged heart is clearly visable in my neck (it freaks people out). So my gp recommended a new higher dose of 15mg.

I just took my 4th dose and don't feel any differnt to when I was on 10mg cant find anywhere on the net where anyone takes this much... I'm scared if I don't take this dose that my heart will explode and my young family will find me dead.      Anyone have any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Conrad101...this is a great forum in which we try to understand & offer suggestions to each other. Im' not aware of anyone being a doctor. If you are very reluctant

to take the higher doses of Perindopril that your doctor is prescribing, you most certainly should discuss it with him/her. Cough while taking an A.C.E. Inhibitor, which is what Perindopril is,..is very common. Sometimes the cough will go away, sometimes it doesn't.If one comes off an A.C.E. because of a persistent cough,

then they shouldn't take an A.C.E. again because of it. Not everyone experiences a cough. I for one, do not. You did not say if you are taking a diuretic along with the Perindopril. While I'm certainly not a doctor, I don't think 140 (systolic) is really anything to get panicky about, unless it gets much higher than that. My doctor tells me that with people of my age (66), it's quite acceptable for bp to be 140/90. These are the latest guidelines. You just took your 4th dose of the higher mgs, but don't feel any different. In all honesty, I think it too early to judge as to whether or not the higher dosage will work. 

Again, you really should talk with your doctor.

• Posted

Thanks Mike,

I'm not on any diuretics.

My Dr was just concerned as he feels 140 is too high for someone on my level of medication. I actually think it could be my work - I have a very high pressure boss- who honestly doesnt care about my condition. She causes me stress daily. If I could afford it I would resign as I know my life is more important than my job!

I have some decisions to make...

• Posted

I agree with Mike.  I think your doctor is trying to get your blood pressure under control as this is very critical in regards to your heart and blood vessels.  I don't know your medical history or physical condition, but I can recommend to you to change your lifestyle in order to save your life.  You are only 40 yrs old and should not be having these problems.  Just to try, a vegetarian, or Mediterranean diet, and add vitamin B12 supplement.  Also, take short slow walks every day, as much as is comfortable at first, then gradually do a little more. If you are eating cakes, cookies, chocolate, lots of meat, you have to stop. Read about Coronary Health Improvement Program called CHIP. 
  • Posted

Please let me know, via post how you are doing. Please take the necessary steps to improve your health.  All my best to you.  Marleneski
    • Posted

Thank you for your sensible advice. I have stopped eating red meat and made some lifestyle changes (More Mediterranean Diet)- but there is always room for improvement. I was born with a faulty heart valve and this surgery was always going to happen one day, but the blood pressure wasnt something I was expecting.

I'll look into CHIP now.eek

Thanks Again for answering so quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.