CPAP machine - lung pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had pleurodesis over 30 years ago. Since then, I have had a few episodes where a bleb popped and it was painful, but I knew the lungs could not collapse. I started using a CPAP machine a few weeks ago due to snoring and sleep apnea and I have noticed some minor lung pain in the mornings. Today it is starting to feel a bit worse - like possibly a bleb has popped. Wondering if anyone has had problems with using a CPAP?  I’m curious if the increased air pressure on the lungs could be a problem for those of us who have had pleurodesis.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi @southerngal

never heard of a CPAP machine before, was this given to you by your doctor?

i would say if it wasn't it might be a good idea to run using something like that by your doctor just to check that it doesn't cause more harm that good for somebody who had had lung issues like you.

hope this helps

owen

• Posted

Thanks Owen!  A CPAP machine is used when you have sleep apnea. It uses positive air pressure to keep your airways open to prevent the breathing problems during sleep caused by sleep apnea.  It was given to me by a doctor, a pulmonologist. I had told him of my lung problems, but he didn’t seem too concerned.  I saw him again today and told him about the popped bleb.  He lowered the pressure a bit and said to try it again, that the benefit far outweighed the risk from the blebs.  I certainly see his point, but I doubt he can really understand how painful those little suckers can be when they pop!  smile

I will give it another try - I sleep better with the machine than I have slept in 10 years. 

Thank you for your reply and your concern. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.