CPM Machine after LTKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just got a CPM Machine for therapy after my surgery this Thursday. Has anyone had good luck with flexion on this type of machine?? I am supposed to have 3 sessions per day on this machine twice a day -- thats 6 hours of time out of my day!!! then at 21 days the tech said I'd be at 120 degrees flexion. 6 hrs a day???? Can only use an ice bag while on the machine not my ARCTIC ICE. Anyone with experience - HELP.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi hun i cant help on this subject as yet but im having my knee replacement on tje 9th of july i must say im scared to death what was it like ???

• Posted

It's not fun but you have to keep your eye in the "prize" which is being pain free in a few months. THIS is my second and I havent put this off this time so I feel i am healthier Take your pain meds; di your exercises and rest when you can. BEST IF LUCK for quick healing

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I had my right TKR last November and while still in hospital my leg was in a CPM machine. I found it really helped to relieve the pain.

Good luck with your recovery .

• Posted

I'll be using it 21 days, 6 hrs a day! Did you get one at home to use?? It increases RoM

• Posted

I used one when I had my right knee replaced 7 years ago and I believed it helped get me moving and promoted increased range of motion. I had my left knee replaced last year and they did no prescribe one for me this time. My surgeon said that clinical research showed that the recovery rate for those who used one and those who didn't was virtually identical, and that the trend these days is to not prescribe them and instead send PT's to the home for the first few weeks home post tkr surgery. In my case, I was surprised that I was able to achieve full range of motion faster this time around without it than I did on my first tkr when i used the device. Of course everybody is different, and every knee is different. I'm just sharing what my surgeon told me, and how it worked out for me. Good luck to you, hope everything works out for you whichever route you go.

• Posted

Use the CPM to relax when your knee is hurting. Do a less stressful ROM for this - like 0-20 degrees to 80-100 (or less). I was able to nod off to sleep at these ranges, and the CPM helped so much with that early, awful tightness and swelling. Then, I also used it about 4 times a day for ROM exercise - for about 20 minutes each time - I would push to the ends of my range. It just got better and better, but I also did a lot of other ROM exercises besides the CPM. But again, for pain relief, I thought the CPM was so helpful. After I had to give it up, I used a smaller Swiss exercise ball to bend and straighten my knee. (not nearly as easy as the CPM) I read lots of books and watched lots of videos on my cell phone or iPad while on the CPM.

Oh - and I had it in the guest bedroom. When I got tired of it, I would just roll out and try to sleep with lots of pillows.

• Posted

I don't know how this an help pain as it is set at 60 degrees to begin with and has to be increased by 10 degrees every day for 6 hours total time. I will be swollen and can't imagine this aiding pain THANK goodness for pain meds. T-27 hours til surgery. NERVOUS now!

• Posted

Hi Karen, i had a first stage revision a couple of weeks ago and i'm hiring a CPM which arrived yesterday. When i had my initial TKR I had problems with flexion so hired one and i found it helped with reducing swelling and flexion did improve. Trust me after your surgery you will have plenty of time to use it. Good luck for tomorrow x

• Posted

Hi Karen I just used ice after my op and found it sufficient along with exercises. Off meds by 4 weeks only took 2 paracetamol at night but used to take them before op for arthritis in my feet. I am 10 weeks now past 2nd tkr last one done last Yr no regrets. Am at 130" walking cycling etc. I also had a prepatella bursitis removed in my previously op knee so clips in both knees this time. Yes it's a scary op but has to be done for a better quality of life just listen to your body rest when needs and ice when necc. After I have been walking etc always ice straight away. Am using an ice cuff provided by my physio. I'm in the UK. Best of luck don't listen to scary stories it's def worth it x

• Posted

I used one after my scope and scar tissue cleaning surgery, for 3 weeks. It helped some, but not worth the money. And Medicare or my supplement would pay for it.

• Posted

******I had my left knee done 4 years ago. I was started on a CPM machine while still in the hospital. I LOVED it! I was sent home with one to use 3x's a day for 2 hours each. I looked forward to it every time!! While using the machine I could nap and catch up on lost sleep. I really think it helped me when I started PT! My insurance covered the cost of renting the CPM for use at home. I wouldn't have my other knee done, if they didn't recommend using it again fort he other knee. So far though my right knee doesn't need replaced. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.